Senior Markets and Trade Analyst
Chemonics seeks a Senior Markets & Trade Analyst, a billable position within the Washington, D.C.-based Home Office. FEWS NET food security analysis, early warning, and decision support for emergency food assistance rely on the monitoring and analysis of markets and prices associated with staple foods, cash crops, livestock, and labor. The Senior Markets & Trade Analyst will support the Washington, D.C. and project office operations for the markets and trade (M&T) sector. Key duties include preparing technical reports on market trends, contributing to the technical oversight of the project’s analytical approaches, and providing technical M&T support to FEWS NET EWT home, regional, and field offices and technical partners. The markets and trade analyst is part of a close-knit team of food security-focused technicians based in Washington, D.C. We are looking for individuals who have a passion for making a difference in the lives of people around the world.
The main responsibilities of the market and trade analyst in their assigned geographic and/or thematic portfolio include, but are not limited to:
- Liaising with M&T staff and other FEWS NET EWT members to assure the timely publication of the monthly deliverables reporting on trends in staple food markets in countries the FEWS NET EWT monitors including the Monthly Price Bulletins (national and regional) and Price Watch and Annex.
- Providing technical oversight for the production of the FEWS NET EWT’ staple food supply and market outlook reports.
- Liaising with FEWS NET EWT project staff and partners to facilitate timely data flows.
- Liaising with country and regional office staff to plan monthly M&T work planning and coordination meetings that take place approximately one week prior to the Regional Office coordination call with the Home Office. This includes, but is not limited to, ensuring calendar invitations are sent, agendas are circulated in advance of the meetings, and comprehensive notes and action items are documented and circulated.
- Providing support to field teams, the FEWS NET EWT Database Manager, the broader M&T team, and Mobile Data Transmission System subcontractors to improve data quality and integrity.
In addition to the above, senior markets and trade analysts will take on more of a leadership role and carry out the following additional illustrative tasks
- Leading on analysis for macroeconomic data and trends that influence food security outcomes, including but not limited to responsibility for drafting markets and trade global assumptions, providing technical support to colleagues, identifying and reviewing data sources, and developing and delivering trainings.
- Leading on analysis for international (non-FEWS NET focus countries) staple food commodities, including but not limited to the production of the international section of the monthly Price Watch, completion of a monthly briefing for the M&T team, identifying and reviewing data sources, and oversight of international data in the FEWS NET Data Warehouse.
- Overseeing subcontractors as assigned, including review and approval of deliverables, and relationship management.
- Overseeing the development of data collection tools.
- Leading technical trainings or otherwise providing lead technical support of sectoral relevance
- Fluency in English required; French and/or Spanish language skills desirable
- Bachelor’s degree in a discipline relevant to the work of FEWS NET, such as economics, agricultural economics, agronomy, nutrition, climatology, anthropology, or social geography is required
- At least two years of relevant experience (with PhD), four years of relevant experience (with Master’s degree), or six years of relevant experience (with Bachelor’s degree) is required. Relevant experience includes working on food security information systems, food security analysis, early warning, or other related fields; experience working with UN agencies and/or NGOs is desirable
- Previous experience living and working in a region or country in which FEWS NET project staff work is desirable
- Experience building and using large databases to analyze market trends, using a combination of quantitative and qualitative methods is desirable
- Excellent interpersonal skills, including the ability to work well with field-based, local staff via telephone and e-mail is required
- Excellent writing, editing, and presentation skills are required
- Excellent computer skills including Microsoft office suite are required.
- Database management skills and experience using Adobe Creative Suite are desirable
- Familiarity with ESRI ArcGIS mapping and statistical software is desirable
The senior markets and trade analyst position will remain open for applications through 11:59 p.m. EST September 8 th , 2023. To apply, please visit https://phh.tbe.taleo.net/phh02/ats/careers/v2/viewRequisition?org=CHEMONICS&cws=50&rid=5748 . All application materials, including responses to the general information form, CVs, and cover letters, should be provided in English. No telephone inquiries. Only short-listed candidates will be contacted. A full scope of work for this position can be found at https://fews.net/jobs.
Chemonics is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate in its selection and employment practices on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, political affiliation, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, disability, genetic information, age, membership in an employee organization, or other non-merit factors.
Chemonics values the protection of your personal data. If you are in the European Union, please read our EU Recruiting Data Privacy Notice to learn how we process personal data. You may access the notice via the following link: https://chemonics.com/eu-recruiting-data-privacy-notice/