Trade Compliance Analyst
Do you want to be part of a business that genuinely values entrepreneurialism, innovation and individual accountability? We focus on our customers and are proud of the difference our technology makes. We partner with some of the biggest manufacturing companies in the world and our technical innovations are used to enhance well-known brands across multiple industries.
Spectris' global group of businesses are focused on delivering value beyond measure for all our stakeholders. We target global, attractive and sustainable markets, where growth and high returns are supported by long-term drivers. Precision is at the heart of what we do.
We provide customers with expert insight through our advanced instruments and test equipment, augmented by the power of our software and services. This equips customers with the ability to reduce time to market, improve processes, quality and yield. In this way, Spectris know-how creates value for our wider society, as our customers design, develop, test and manufacture their products to make the world a cleaner, healthier and more productive place.
Currently headquartered in London, United Kingdom, the Company employs approximately 8,000 people located in more than 30 countries.
This is an excellent opportunity to join Spectris plc as a Trade Compliance Analyst, in the Group’s global legal and compliance team. This role reports into the Group Head of Global Trade Compliance in the UK who reports to the Group’s Director of Compliance.
The Company is a highly de-centralized, entrepreneurial, results-oriented business, operating on a non-matrix management structure. Decision making powers pushed down to the lowest appropriate level in the organisation.
Each of our 5 businesses have trade compliance specialists and these represent key relationships. This role is a full-time position and will provide an opportunity to help further enhance the Group’s Trade Compliance Program by shaping strategy, policies and procedures to ensure group-wide compliance with international trade compliance laws and regulations, including UK, EU, US (EAR and ITAR) and customs principles.
- To support the Group Head of Global Trade Compliance in providing subject matter expertise and guidance to the businesses on complex business transactions.
- To provide an additional layer of due diligence to the businesses for transactions in difficult jurisdictions.
- To assist in the enhancement of our suite of training to ensure appropriate trade compliance training and education is provided to all stakeholders as needed.
- Assist in the development, maintenance and monitoring of the Group import/export compliance policies and procedures.
- To assist/perform internal import and export regulatory audits / investigations to gain assurance that the business maintains compliance with all relevant controls including any applicable sanctions and embargoes.
- Maintain our internal “watch list”.
- Stay abreast of regulatory changes, emerging risks and best practice to mitigate risks and provide periodic updates to relevant stakeholders.
- Establish relationships, trust, and credibility with internal stakeholders. Working with them to develop and drive business processes & solutions that are compliant with any applicable trade laws, regulations, or internal policies established by Spectris.
- Bachelor’s degree preferred.
- 3+ years relevant experience in a trade compliance role (excluding logistic functions).
- Strong operational knowledge of US import and export controls – specifically US Export Administration Regulations (EAR) and those imposed by the Office of Foreign Asset Controls (OFAC).
- Knowledge of import regulations and rules of origin.
- Knowledge of classification rules (HTS / export controls).
- Knowledge of the WTO rules of valuation.
- Audit / investigations experience and experience delivering internal training on trade compliance matters.
- Experience in applying for US export licenses.
- Ability to navigate a complex decentralized organisation, exercise diplomacy and build networks effectively, cross-functionally and with people at all organisational levels.
- Fluent in English including a clear and engaging communicator, able to break down complex concepts and explain their benefits/challenges and bring the business with them.
- The candidate will be comfortable challenging when it is justified, to champion approved policy or positions even where this is perceived to be disadvantageous to the business. They also need to be comfortable supporting the business in situations that may appear on the face of them problematic, using clear analysis to support the correct conclusion.
Experience In The Following Would Be Beneficial
- Operational knowledge of other foreign export laws and regulations in UK, EU and Asia (particularly China);
- Performing due diligence on entities in China;
- Exporting intangible commodities such as technical data and software; and
- The International Traffic in Arms Regulations (ITAR).
Salary And Benefits
- We offer a competitive salary based on experience
- Up to 20% discretionary annual bonus split by personal and company performance.
- We offer a competitive compensation plan. Our benefit offerings include Medical, Dental, Vision, 401(k) with a company match, Life and Disability plans.
- We also offer Tuition Reimbursement and a Wellness program.
- Vacation, Sick, Personal and Paid Holidays.
This is a remote working position; East coast preferred with some international travel required.