Director of Global Trade Compliance (Hybrid)
At Lakeshore, we create innovative learning materials and world-class guest experiences for teachers, parents and children. Since 1954, we’ve grown into a global community—with a thriving e-commerce business, multiple catalogs, 60+ retail stores, a peerless national sales force, plus international offices that support our preeminent supply chain division. But today we’re working better, smarter and faster than ever—and setting our sights even higher. We’re building an infrastructure designed for scalability, embracing data-driven decision-making and using technology to improve efficiency and ensure the best tools for the best work. Most importantly, we continue to invest in a diverse team of inquisitive top talent who fuel each other’s passions and curiosity, take risks, try new things, and believe that every new day brings opportunities for growth.
In a time of unprecedented expansion, we are seeking a Director of Global Trade Compliance to join our team. In this role, you will be responsible for developing and executing the strategy for import and export customs compliance, while ensuring that Lakeshore satisfies the legal requirements set forth by CBP and various other governmental agencies. The position also requires partnering with internal functions to understand business processes, identify areas of risk and develop risk-mitigation policies. Ideal applicants are extremely knowledgeable in the customs arena, including FTZ and tariff engineering, and are able to effectively partner with key internal and external stakeholders. Candidates should possess strong leadership skills to foster collaboration and compliance among stakeholders. And we’re here to help you succeed—Lakeshore recently earned its Great Place to Work® Certification™ and is proud to put its associates first.
A day in the office looks like this:
- Provide direction for the customs and trade compliance function that align with business objectives
- Create visibility and partnership across activities with the broker and manage performance through regular reviews
- Proactively review and audit HTS classifications
- Provide guidance on special trade programs and keep company abreast of material changes in trade compliance programs, product labeling and FTA programs
- Create and maintain SOPs—develop compliance manuals, procedures, policies and internal controls
- Develop and maintain KPIs for all aspects of customs compliance
- Maintain and review internal customs audit program
- Maintain electronic import document storage
- Ensure all sites and operating divisions maintain processes to ensure compliance with Export Administration Regulations (EAR), Automated Commercial Environment (ACE) requirements and other trade regulations
- Execute reporting and analyses for financial business impact
- Identify risk on import/export issues, assess impact, develop resolutions and provide guidance to senior management on resolving those issues
- Proactively identify areas of international trade compliance risk; mitigate risks, penalties and fines
- Maintain compliance with all applicable Customs and Broker policies, procedures, regulations and laws
- Partner closely with RD&D, Sourcing, Legal and Finance
- Lead the team in all daily workload and responsibilities
Got the skills and experience? Here’s what we’re looking for:
- BS degree
- 5+ years of experience managing import/export compliance
- Demonstrated proficiency working with U.S. Customs Brokers, export/import regulations
- Customs Broker License Preferred
- Experience in SAP
- Must be detail-oriented with strong analytical skills and financial acumen
- Able to multitask and meet deadlines
- Ability to influence across functions
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Consistent leadership and problem-solving ability
- Proficiency in Microsoft Excel and Office
And here’s our end of the bargain!
- Salary: $117,000-$180,000 with an annual bonus of up to 20%
- Paid leave for new parents to support work/life balance and family bonding
- Excellent medical/dental and vision coverage—EPO, PPO and HSA
- 401(k) retirement plan with company contribution (because you will retire someday)
- Flexible benefits—choose what you like, ignore the rest
- On-site preschool for our employees’ children
- On-site employee gym for all levels/fitness needs
- Generous employee discount on products that make you smarter
- Casual dress…and we really mean it
At Lakeshore, we know our diversity makes us stronger, and when everyone feels included and valued, we all win. We strive to embrace our differences and create an intentionally diverse and inclusive community that is representative of the teachers, families and children we serve.
We know we couldn’t do the extraordinary things we’re doing without the people on our team. Thanks to the passion and enthusiasm of this spectacular group, Lakeshore is more than a great place to work—it’s a great experience to be part of. Day in and day out, we give everything we’ve got to create products that instill a sense of wonder and foster a true love of learning. To help maintain this high bar for success, we’re constantly on the lookout for people to join us. So if you’re a down-to-earth professional who shares our desire for making a difference, we’d love to hear from you.
To learn more about Lakeshore, visit www.lakeshorelearning.com/careers
Equal Employment Opportunity Policy
People are selected to become members of the Lakeshore family based on skill, merit and mind-boggling talent—not based on race, color, creed, sexual orientation, gender or gender identity, marital status, domestic partnership status, military status, religion, age, national origin, ancestry, alienage, AIDS or AIDS-related complex status, genetic information, predisposition or carrier status, status as a victim of domestic violence, physical or mental disability, or any other characteristic protected by applicable law. If things aren’t equal, we all lose.
To learn about how we collect and use Applicant information, please visit our