Senior Export Control Specialist
Required Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Ability to lead and embrace change
- Ability to lead and manage projects to completion amidst uncertain conditions, obstacles and/or conflicting data
- Ability to collaborate with internal and external network to achieve company goals
- Ability to work in teams while promoting Avient values and ethical standards
- Ability to communicate effectively in writing and oral presentations to diverse audiences
- Ability to work in a fast-paced environment with strong organizational skills
- SAP experience preferred
- Intermediate to advanced knowledge of Microsoft Office Suite
- Strong working knowledge of United States and Canadian trade regulations and concepts, including free trade agreements such as USMCA
- Exposure to and understanding of international commerce and commercial terms (INCO Terms) as well as trade compliance practices and procedures as generally implemented in multinational organizations
Education and Experience
- 4 year degree or equivalent experience in global logistics/freight forwarding
- Minimum of 5 years’ experience in global logistics/freight forwarding or international business environment and regulatory compliance including import, export, classification (HTS), brokerage, customs and compliance.
- Proven experience in AEO, CTPAT, or related supply chain security programs.
- Each position at Avient focuses on eight Core Competencies as a Leader of Self. Additionally, management positions focus on Leadership Competencies as a Leader of Others and/or a Leader of the Business. These competencies are designed to drive behavior that will ultimately help our associates excel at their current roles, while supporting individual and career development.
- Requires remaining in a stationary position for prolonged periods of time, and frequent communication.
- Must be able to traverse and operate computer and other office equipment.
- Typical work is in an office environment where the noise level is low to moderate.
At Avient, we strive for a culture of trust and engagement. Our associates are leading company initiatives such as Lead by Women, HYPE (Harnessing Young Professionals), Pride at Avient and Embrace to advance diversity in professional and personal development. We also provide our associates with robust development programs such as Avient Academy, Lean Six Sigma, and various leadership workshops to allow for career growth in a variety of ways. With workplace flexibility, health and wellness programs, casual dress days, and paid time off for community service, we are committed to building upon our positive momentum.
At Avient, we believe diversity of ideas and backgrounds gives us the creativity to be successful in a rapidly changing world. In support of this, we stress equality of opportunity for all qualified individuals in accordance with applicable laws. Decisions in hiring, promotion, development, compensation and advancement are based upon non-discriminatory factors such as, for example, qualifications, abilities, experience, and performance.
Avient Corporation is a drug free workplace. Avient is an equal opportunity employer. We maintain a policy of non-discrimination in providing equal employment to all qualified employees and candidates regardless of race, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, color, religion, national origin, disability, genetic information, protected veteran’s status, or other legally protected classification in accordance with applicable federal, state and local law. #LI-CB1 #LI-Hybrid
Avient Corporation provides specialized and sustainable material solutions that transform customer challenges into opportunities, bringing new products to life for a better world. Examples include:
- Dyneema®, the world’s strongest fiber™, enables unmatched levels of performance and protection for end-use applications, including ballistic personal protection, marine and sustainable infrastructure and outdoor sports
- Unique technologies that improve the recyclability of products and enable recycled content to be incorporated, thus advancing a more circular economy
- Light-weighting solutions that replace heavier traditional materials like metal, glass and wood, which can improve fuel efficiency in all modes of transportation and reduce carbon footprint
- Sustainable infrastructure solutions that increase energy efficiency, renewable energy, natural resource conservation and fiber optic / 5G network accessibility
Avient employs approximately 10,000 associates and is certified ACC Responsible Care®, a founding member of the Alliance to End Plastic Waste and certified Great Place to Work®. For more information, visit www.avient.com.
Avient Corporation (NYSE: AVNT), with 2021 revenues of $4.8 billion, provides specialized and sustainable material solutions that transform customer challenges into opportunities, bringing new products to life for a better world. Examples include:
• Unique technologies that improve the recyclability of products and enable recycled content to be incorporated, thus advancing a more circular economy
• Light-weighting solutions that replace heavier traditional materials like metal, glass and wood, which can improve fuel efficiency in all modes of transportation and reduce carbon footprint
• Sustainable infrastructure solutions that increase energy efficiency, renewable energy, natural resource conservation and fiber optic / 5G network accessibility
• Avient employs approximately 8,700 associates and is certified ACC Responsible Care®, a founding member of the Alliance to End Plastic Waste and certified Great Place to Work®. For more information, visit www.avient.com.
The Trade Compliance Sr. Analyst is a subject matter expert responsible for managing trade compliance elements of import and export operations for the respective regions and jurisdictions; in this case the United States and Canada. The position will focus on tariff classifications of manufactured and purchased products while owning all aspects of all Preferential Duty Programs in which Avient participates. Additionally, the Sr. Analyst will lead the development and maintenance of corporate policies and procedures to ensure compliance with worldwide import and export laws and regulations. Some travel may be required.
Essential duties and Responsibilities:
- Oversee and ensure import and export classification of articles, software, and technology including but not limited to Harmonized Tariff Schedule (HTS), Export Control/Licensing Number, and Country of Origin (COO).
- Manage export controls and licensing as needed.
- Ensure all import and export related activities are in compliance with relevant government import and export regulations and Avient policies and procedures.
- Manage all aspects of sanctions, embargos and denied party screening process and tracking.
- Oversee the Avient Classification Database and develop automated solutions.
- Maintain import and export files electronically according to applicable government regulations.
- Communicate and collaborate directly with Avient Sourcing, Finance, Customer Service, Logistics, Product Stewardship, IT, and third party Freight Forwarders/Customs Brokers.
- Lead all aspects of Avient issued Free Trade Agreement certificates, Long Term Supplier Declarations, Certificates of Origin, Manufacturer’s Affidavits, and other additional export/import documents
- Identify changes in applicable rules, regulations, standards and related trends in the trade arena that are relevant to the Trade Compliance Program; recommend and implement necessary modifications to policies and procedures.
- Serve as the Trade Compliance Manager back up when necessary.
- Conduct and monitor assigned import/export auditing; track and metric results.
- Manage and supervise Customs Supply Chain Security Program qualification and certification
- Lead audit and review Customs Agent/Broker performance including but not limited to HTS Classification and Determination, Import/Export Controls and licensing, COO determination and submission of Import and Export clearances.
- Manage and report department KPIs
- Create and provide Trade Compliance training sessions.
- Utilize Lean Six Sigma methodology and drive continuous improvement efforts in all aspects of the role.
- Perform other work related large scope projects as assigned by the Trade Compliance Manager.
- Other duties as assigned.
- United States and Canada
- Must be considered a “U.S. Person” as defined by ITAR & EAR for export purposes (e.g., a U.S. Citizen, U.S. National, lawful permanent resident, asylee, refugee).