Licensed Customs Broker (hybrid or remote)
This position oversees the import and export process, either directly or indirectly through direct reports, and ensures compliance with U.S. and foreign government laws and regulations. This role supports the Eastern time zone. This is a flexible workplace-eligible position, it could be hybrid 1-3 days a week in Romulus or fully remote.
Performs a wide variety of duties including but not limited to:
- Guides customers through customs requirements and processes by preparing and submitting documents, determining tariff and duty payments, tracking shipments and using the tariff coding system to classify shipments.
- Recommends routing and handling for exports/imports for customers and for customer prospects.
- Makes complete import/export arrangements for customers including: booking container arrangements, insurance, banking, and selection of transportation companies.
- Prepares all documents including: bills of lading, dock receipts, licenses, and consulate documents.
- Ensures all government (U.S. and other) required forms and information is compliant and appropriately provided to relative parties.
- Classifies shipments, inputs data, and makes corrections and adjustments.
- Resolves customer problems accurately and professionally.
- Helps importers and exporters understand and meet the rules and regulations put in place by the federal government with regard to the trade industry.
- Educates clients about customs regulations, international tariffs, shipping restrictions and insurance requirements.
- Works closely with other departments including sales to pursue new sales leads, and discusses and sell sour various services with current clients and Operations to resolve issues as it pertains to Customs.
- Processes post entry work including: ruling requests, CF 28's, refunds, protests, and drawbacks.
- Processes quota entries via in-house system.
- Works with Customs to resolves problems.
- Responsible for the operation of the office when the manager is absent, unless the district manager is standing in for the manager.
- Provides written and oral instructions to direct reports; assigns duties and reviews work for accuracy and conformance to the Company’s policies and procedures.
- Strives to maintain harmony among workers by proactively addressing performance issues or grievances.
- Assists subordinates as needed to complete the work of the department.
- Stays up-to-date on all customs and Deringer procedure changes.
- Performs additional duties as assigned by management.
No travel is required for this position.
Education and Experience:
Associate's degree with three to five years of relevant import/export experience or an equivalent combination of education and experience. Three to five years of experience leveraging import/export documentation. Currently holds an active U.S. license as a Customs Broker.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
Proficient in Microsoft office products (i.e. Word, PowerPoint, Outlook); expert in Excel and Access. Accurate and sufficient data entry skills. Ability to handle a variety of functions in a dynamic, cross-functional environment. Able to quickly learn new accounting software packages. Willingness to sign a non-disclosure agreement.
All Deringer employees should be fully committed to the Core Values:
Passion, Respect, Integrity, Expertise, Innovative Solutions, Relationships, Support, Determination, Value and a High Level of Accountability
In addition, the following competencies are specific to this position:
Analytical – Demonstrates accuracy and thoroughness; applies feedback to improve performance; monitors own work to ensure quality; gathers and analyzes information skillfully; demonstrates ability to multi-task and establish priorities.
Customer Oriented – Manages difficult or emotional customer situations; responds promptly to customer needs; solicits customer feedback to improve service; demonstrates ability to speak clearly and persuasively in positive and negative situations; listens and gets clarification; responds well to questions.
Interpersonal Skills – Focuses on solving conflict, not blaming; maintains confidentiality; listens to others without interrupting; keeps emotions under control; remains open to others’ ideas and tries new things; takes responsibility for own actions; contributes to building a positive team spirit; supports everyone’s efforts to succeed.
Motivation – Sets and achieves challenging goals; demonstrates persistence and overcomes obstacles; measures self against standard of excellence; takes calculated risks to accomplish goals.
Problem Solving – Identifies and resolves problems in a timely manner; develops alternative solutions; works well in group problem solving situations; uses reason even when dealing with emotional topics.
Work Standards – Sets high standards and well-defined realistic goals for one’s self; displays a high level of effort and commitment towards completing tasks in a timely manner; demonstrates ability to work independently; meets deadlines and handles large volumes of work.
Working Conditions and Physical Demands:
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this position. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Predominately sedentary light office position with high frequency of keyboarding/computer work required (67% - 100% of the workday).
The employee is required to regularly use hands and fingers; talk and hear.
The employee is occasionally required to walk.
Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision and the ability to focus.
The employee usually works in a quiet environment.
The above job description is intended to describe the general nature and level of the work being performed by people assigned to this role and is not an exhaustive list of all duties and responsibilities. Deringer reserves the right to amend and change responsibilities to meet business and organizational needs as necessary.