Vice President, Global Supply Chain
Adaptimmune is a clinical-stage biopharmaceutical company focused on the development and commercialization of novel immunotherapy products for people with cancer. The Company's unique SPEAR (Specific Peptide Enhanced Affinity Receptor) T-cell platform enables the engineering of T-cells to target and destroy cancer across multiple solid tumors.
Our company culture is rooted in trust, inclusion, our capacity to collaborate, and our commitment to being honest and brave in our desire to successfully transform the lives of people with cancer.
Patient Supply Operations enables the efficient and effective treatment of Adaptimmune patients through outstanding collaboration and supply chain leadership. As a member of the Patient Supply Operations team, you become part of an energetic global organization which oversees the end-to-end value stream to ensure exceptional product delivery. This includes, but is not limited to, treatment operations, materials management, demand and supply planning, network strategy, logistics, warehousing, and external supply management. Come join our diverse, dynamic, patient-focused organization!
Provide strategic direction, leadership, and oversight of clinical and commercial supply planning, drug product, and materials management for internal and external manufacturing and supply chain of Adaptimmune’s Autologous Cell Therapy Products globally. Ensure a robust planning process is in place and short, medium, and long term supply plans meet the cost, quality, and customer service needs of Adaptimmune patients and stakeholders. Oversight of treatment operations, clinical and commercial supply operations, logistics, and Navy Yard warehouse management. Additionally, this leader will be responsible for labelling and artwork processes for apheresis and final product.
- Develop, implement, and manage the global supply planning and scheduling process (e.g. Sales and Operations Planning (S&OP)) for the autologous cell therapy products (i.e. “Make to Order.”) and any future allogeneic products. This includes partnering with clinical scientist/clinical operations teams on the coordination of the patient apheresis and infusion schedules (i.e. demand) as well the planning for manufacturing and supply to meet this demand. Develop strategic plans for scaling (globally) the network to meet clinical and commercial forecasts. Communicate internal and external production plans to key stakeholders (ie external supply, internal manufacturing, QA, QC, clinical operations)
- Develop, implement, and manage internal manufacturing scheduling processes. Work with manufacturing leadership to ensure internal manufacturing (cell and/or vector) production scheduling process is robust, efficient, and cost effective.
- Lead cross functional planning teams to respond to unplanned events. Develop supply options, facilitate decision making, and communicate updated manufacturing and supply plans to all impacted stakeholders (ie external supply, internal manufacturing, QA, QC, clinical operations)
- Design, implement, and execute the artwork and labelling process to ensure sustained supply, quality, and compliance of apheresis and final product labelling globally. Lead a cross functional team which includes regulatory, external supply management, clinical operations, Quality Compliance and System Validation, and IT to ensure all required changes are implemented efficiently and effectively.
- Develop and implement inventory management policies for all required materials to support internal and external manufacturing. Set inventory plans for plasmid, vector, and all materials needed to support internal manufacturing.
- Develop and implement Key Performance Indicators for the execution of supply chain management.
- Support clinical, manufacturing, and finance with medium and long term supply planning “what if” scenario analysis to support long term supply chain decision making. Provide input and analysis into financial budgeting/forecasting process (e.g., forecast future material/CMO needs to input into financial forecasting)
- Partner with IT to develop and implement a supply chain IT systems and tools strategy. These are the tools needed to do supply chain planning, execution, and analysis.
- Own and manage supply chain master data. This includes bills of materials, vendor master, item master. Working with IT, design and implement supply chain master data management processes.
- Develop, implement, and manage Treatment Operations that enables successful treatment execution of clinical and commercial patients. Create and lead the organizations responsible for the processes and interactions with key vendors for apheresis collection and transport to manufacturing sites and shipment of final product to infusion sites. Ensure external chain of custody (CoC) and chain of identity (CoI) requirements are met. Activities include logistics scheduling, vendor oversight, issue resolution, communication and information sharing to ensure required material is collected and shipped per schedule.
- Establish site qualification criteria and conduct operational certification for apheresis and treatment. Ensure investigators and site staff have a thorough understanding of the processes for treatment execution. Provide training to clinical site/Centers of Excellence on the patient portal (e.g., AdaptimmuneAssist), cell processing and handling procedures, and apheresis and infusion procedures. Partner with commercial operations on establishment of relevant HUB services.
- Lead all Warehouse Operations that support the Navy Yard (both internal and external), including site shipping, receiving, and kitting to support manufacturing.
- Take an active role in the overall leadership of Adaptimmune as a member of the Senior Leadership Team. Demonstrate enterprise leadership, live the company values and culture, and grow relationships with the rest of the global senior leadership team.
Qualifications & Experience
- Bachelor’s degree in business, operations, supply chain, or applicable discipline
- 15+ years of progressive supply chain management experience including 7+ years of managing others
- Breadth of supply chain management experience, including supply planning and procurement
- Experience working with Contract Manufacturing/External Supply Management
- Experience with “make to order” supply chains with internal and external manufacturing and supply assets.
- MBA strongly preferred.
- Experience with cell and gene therapy supply chains
- Deep experience with “Make to Order” supply chains (e.g. computer manufacturing)
- Experience with early stage and late stage/commercial pharmaceutical/biotech companies
- Experience starting/standing up a new external supply chain organization, tools, and processes
- Strong background working with ERP/MRP/Supply Chain systems and tools
- Global supply chain experience
- Management of geographically diverse teams (i.e. where direct reports may be in other geographies)
At Adaptimmune we embrace diversity and equality of opportunity. We believe that the more inclusive we are, the better our work will be. We welcome applications to join our team from all qualified candidates, regardless of age, colour, disability, marital status, national origin, race, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, veteran status or other legally protected category. It is our intent that all qualified applicants will receive equal consideration for employment.