Supply Chain Technician
Supply Chain Technician
Location: VA Medical Center, Manhattan, NY
Ensure supplies and materials are distributed from primary inventory points to all areas serviced by Logistics, including sterile and non-sterile medical supplies. Assignments consist of but are not limited to, scanning supplies, receiving and storing supplies, distribution of medical and surgical supplies, cleaning, and first in first out rotation of expendable medical supplies and implants.
- Shall be technically proficient in the skills necessary to fulfill the government’s requirements, including speaking, understanding, reading, and writing English fluently. Contractor personnel providing services under this contract shall not have any criminal record.
- Possess practical knowledge of standard supply inventory management procedures to perform work involving inventory and excess material management. Knowledge and ability to interpret policies, procedures, manuals, and regulations pertaining to supply/inventory management. Requires knowledge related to stock rotation, hazard alerts, and recalls ensuring outdated or otherwise compromised supplies and materials are removed from usage area.
- Possess knowledge of general inventory management practices and procedures. Familiarity with computers and Microsoft Office software programs such as Microsoft Word and Excel, sufficient to enter information and manage supply inventory.
- Proof of Influenza and Covid vaccinations.
Essential Functions and Responsibilities
· Maintains stock at primary and secondary inventory locations for all clinical and administrative services. This involves pulling stock inventory and material from main inventory for delivery; replenishing stock inventory; interacting with clinical and administrative customers to ensure issues and needs are identified and either resolved or escalated to supervisors or Inventory Management Specialists as needed; maintaining records on stock levels; recommending revisions in stock levels as needed to supply changes to Inventory Management Specialists; communicating to the lead or supervisor any concerns related to supplies, equipment and procedures, providing information as needed orally or in writing regarding customer or external stakeholder issues, general telephone inquiries and visitor referrals: communicating with customers and vendors to obtain information regarding medical supplies.
· Monitors expiration dates, rotates stock to limit outdates and removes items from use as required by outdates. Supports managers in checking inventory for stock identified for recalled items and hazard alerts; ensures critical supplies are appropriately monitored and controlled, resolving deviations when possible, and escalating significant deviations to the Inventory Management Specialists.
· Performs daily inventory of primary and secondary inventory points using bar coding equipment on a predetermined schedule that will allow for timely replenishment orders. Resolves differences between records and physical count of stock.
· Distributes items according to established requirements in computerized inventory management systems such as GIP. Utilizes a pager or similar device to expedite the pick/delivery of items needed in user areas throughout the VA HCS and supported catchment area. Fills requests for items based on daily schedules of need or on an emergent basis as appropriate.
· Cleans assigned secondary areas (shelves and bins) in accordance with aseptic principles as published in infection control guidelines, local Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs), and Joint Commission standards as scheduled.
· Delivers supplies in a timely and accurate manner, ensuring supplies and material delivered are in sterile and operational condition. Deliveries will be to wards, clinics and other secondary locations that may be in remote sites. Delivery by motor vehicle may be required. Completes specialty cart preparation and stocking.
· Supports wall-to-wall and periodic inventories. As needed, assists in other functional areas of the Section, and performs other duties as assigned. Inventory Control – Receiving; receives supplies and material into the VA Health Care System and supported catchment area.
· Unpacks/uncrates supplies from shipping cartons; properly stores supplies and material in main/primary inventory areas. Stores items in accordance with established guidelines, utilizing a computerized inventory system, to ensure sterility and integrity of the supplies and material and the data integrity of the inventory management system. Performs other duties as assigned.
· Receives, stores and ships bin and bulk supplies, materials, and equipment.
· Participates in conducting an inventory of stock on hand and communicates discrepancies to leadership. Ensures products and shelving are marked with corresponding identification numbers.
· Consolidate materials and provide maximum space utilization and protection of materials.
· Performs other duties as assigned.
· Technicians are required to wear proper PPE per local guidance.
Work requires standing and walking during the entire workday, and frequent reaching, bending, and lifting of supply packages (occasionally weighing as much as 50 pounds). Work requires pushing loaded carts of medical supplies (weighing more than 100+ pounds). With proper assistance, moves heavier items' weighing over 40 pounds.
Work is performed throughout the medical center and supported catchment areas, which includes wards, storage buildings, and warehouses that range from a clean environment to hot, cold, drafty, and poorly lighten. The possibility of trips, falls, scrapes, cuts, bruises, or injury are present in the day-to-day work of the position. Work requires stocking supplies in the primary inventory area as well as numerous secondary inventory points throughout the hospital work area, including wards, clinics, operating rooms, warehouses, and nursing areas. Work requires maintaining a clean environment while performing tasks that can produce dust or other infectious pollutants while transitioning between.
Education and/or Experience
• A high school qualification or equivalent.
• Prior experience as a warehouse manager, supply technician or a similar role.
• Ability to lift and carry relatively heavy items.
• Excellent written communication skills.
• Proficiency with Microsoft Office and inventory logging software
Full Benefit Package to include:
- Paid Federal Government Holidays
- Sick leave accrual
- 100% Medical, Dental and Vision premium for employee
- Life Insurance, Short and long-term disability available
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer
We do not discriminate in employment opportunities or practices on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, genetic information or any other characteristics protected by law.