Customs Import Compliance Specialist
“We’re not in the shipping business; we’re in the information business” -Peter Rose, Expeditors Founder
Global supply chain management is what we do, but at the heart of Expeditors you will find professionalism, leadership, and a friendly environment, all of which foster an innovative, customer service-based approach to logistics.
- 15,000 trained professionals
- 250+ locations worldwide
- Fortune 500
- Globally unified systems
Scope of Position:
- To proactively ensure import department meets the highest standards of import Customs compliance.
Major Duties and Responsibilities:
- Prevent late files/payments by ensuring proper use of the statement management reports.
- Assist in the enforcement of Expeditors’ Brokerage Operational Process Standards, policies and procedures.
- Review all Powers of Attorney received by the branch for validity, and review attached Importer Questionnaire for completeness; upload valid POA and Importer Questionnaire into the POA Tool.
Internal Reviews and Monitoring
- Conduct daily reviews via IDMA (Import Daily Monitoring Application) in accordance with Expeditors’ Import Daily Monitoring Program. Derive training topics from results.
- Monitor customs rejections. Report results to the U.S. and Canada Customs Compliance Manager in the annual Self-Audit. Derive training topics from results.
- Conduct 361 reviews
- Assist District Compliance Manager with ensuring all monitoring reports are reviewed timely.
- Ensure that branch employees are kept up to date on Customs and PGA related developments. Read daily publications of Broker Power’s International Trade Today, CSMS Messages from CBP, local customs publications (eg. Pipelines, Public Bulletins, etc.). Visit customs and PGA websites on a regular basis.
- Ensure familiarity with Customs’ Informed Compliance Publications.
- Attend monthly Brokerage/Compliance Managers’ Conference Calls.
- Meet regularly with export Customs compliance counterpart.
- Ensure proper and timely filing of PSCs, protests, supplemental duty tenders, etc., in accordance with regulatory, OPS and CHQ guidelines.
- Report all penalties and liquidated damages to U.S. and Canada Compliance Manager.
- Manage all post entry activities.
- Ensure proper handling/monitoring of all TIB entries. Notify clients of a TIB status at least three times during the course of a bond. Use the form letter provided in OPS Manual.
- Prepare and hold training sessions on a regular basis for entry personnel. Topics should be based on the following:
- Issues apparent on customs reject spreadsheet
- Problems discovered during the daily reviews (IDMA)
- New customs/PGA developments and procedures
- Assist entry personnel with compliance-related questions and issues.
- Support sales staff and import manager in new business development, as needed.
- Customs Broker’s License
- 3 years' experience in U.S. Customs brokerage
- Strong analytical ability
- Strong working knowledge of CFIT and Expeditors' import applications
- Proficiency in the following software products:
- MS Office - Word, Excel, Access, Power Point
- Customs business understanding; current customs environment
- Strong understanding of 19 CFR (Parts 1 – 199) and the HTSUSA
- Customer service skills to deal with branch personnel and external customers; ability to work effectively across all levels of an organization interfacing with supervisors, peers and clients
- Organizational skills to manage multiple tasks to completion simultaneously
- Research skills, problem solving and follow-up skills
- Ability to relate to clients, Customs and other government officials, and employees at all levels
- Hands-on knowledge of Operational Process Standards desk procedures
- Ability to articulate clearly through written and oral presentation
Expeditors offers excellent benefits
- Paid Vacation, Holiday, Sick Time
- Health Plan: Medical, Prescription Drug, Dental and Vision
- Life and Long Term Disability Insurance
- 401(k) Retirement Savings Plan (US only)
- Employee Stock Purchase Plan
- Training and Personnel Development Program
All your information will be kept confidential according to EEO guidelines.