Director, Business Development
Full Job Description
Director, Business Development
Join Livingston and grow your career in the constantly changing world of international trade. Livingston is a market leader offering customs brokerage, international trade consulting, compliance and freight forwarding services around the world. Livingston has over 3,000 employees at more than 90 key border crossings, sea ports, airports and other strategic locations in North America, Europe and Asia.
Our fast-paced and collaborative environment offers you the opportunity to work with leaders in the industry, receive recognition for achievements and develop your expertise in the complex and evolving world of trade. Learn how you can make an impact at Livingston.
Job Type: Full Time
Location: HomeOffice New York, HomeOffice Massachusetts, HomeOffice New Jersey, HomeOffice Pennsylvania
The Director, Business Development is responsible for developing sales in the geographic region, providing leadership and expertise to the sales team on prospect generation, solution selling, as well as developing and executing sales strategies. This role ensures optimal performance within the defined region in terms of overall new business revenue generation and adherence to Livingston’s strategic plan, vision and values.
This is a remote role. Location is home office in New York, New Jersey, Pennsylvania, or Massachusetts.
KEY DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
- Define revenue goals for the region, define individual performance requirements, communicate business development plans and leverage incentive programs to motivate team to overachieve revenue target.
- Manage high-performance teams by establishing a spirit of cooperation and cohesion for achieving goals, displaying attributes that make people want to follow. Lead by example as a hands-on team player with a “roll up the sleeves can-do attitude”. Mentor, inspire, challenge and coach sales team to overachieve their assigned revenue target within identified geography.
- Instill an executable discipline for proactively identifying, creating opportunities and coordinating resources applicable to growing revenue within the geography.
- Ensure sales team members are equipped with the product knowledge, selling-skills and business development strategies required to be successful. Identify performance and training gaps and recommend solutions or training to maximize revenue goals.
- Develop and manage the team to meet and exceed revenue target.
- Manage overall performance and activities of the sales team which includes managing individual revenue targets; ensure that clients and key prospects information are populated into the CRM (Salesforce.com) and produce accurate individual Business Plans reports on a monthly basis.
- Maximize the region’s strength in market position to drive new revenue from prospect accounts and existing accounts.
- Review and analyze information provided by Marketing, Sales Ops, CRM (Salesforce.com), Client feedback and other sources to determine gaps, opportunities or threats and take the necessary steps to capitalize on opportunities.
- Personally devise and lead business opportunities and actively work to assist in business development activities. Establish and maintain effective relationships with clients. Attend and participate in sales meetings.
- Train the team on brand building techniques and how to prepare effective presentations, proposals and RFP responses.
- Understand the competition (strengths, weaknesses, opportunities, threats) and act on them. Create the business development plan and execute the strategy to expand business to develop new revenue within the geography in alignment with the company’s strategic plans.
- Meet regional sales financial objectives by forecasting requirements, analyzing variances and initiating corrective actions.
- Maintain professional internal and external relationships that meet company core values.
- Proactively establish and maintain effective team relationships with all support functions.
- Work closely with operational functions to ensure new clients’ needs are addressed.
- Build and maintain key relationships with potential clients.
- Work in close collaboration with the marketing solution specialist and other Director of Sales (other regions). Share best practices and develop solutions which benefit all stakeholders. Promote cross functional selling of LII solutions and promote and monitor synergy between the regions lead Program.
- Perform other related duties as assigned by management.
- Adhere to established policies and procedures.
KNOWLEDGE & SKILLS
- Works effectively with both internal and external contacts treating everyone with respect, trust and dignity.
- A strong change agent who is a good listener and respectful of others, skillfully settling differences by using a win-win approach in order to maintain relationships. Applies influence and negotiation skills to drive business results.
- Dynamic, entrepreneurial, decisive; forward-thinking leader who is also practical and results oriented.
- Solid analytical, planning and decision-making skills.
- Enjoys working under pressure in a fast-paced, deadline driven environment.
- Possesses the intellectual capacity to understand all facets and drivers of the business and make decisions with complete recognition of short-and long-term implication.
- A leader who is passionate about our customers and creates a culture that demonstrates we are vigilant about our client’s business.
- Comfortable communicating at all levels of the organization. Expresses oneself effectively (both orally and in written form). Encourage others to communicate effectively and efficiently at a level that is understood by all therefore developing a culture of participation and involvement.
- Personable, outgoing individual with the ability to form lasting professional relationships with ease.
- Proven track record of building and developing high performing sales team.
- Excellent needs assessment skills. Ability to anticipate, determine, capture and analyze customer-specific, trade-related business information requirements.
- Strong recruitment, development and retention experience.
- Knowledge of Salesforce.com, CVI and Challenger Selling tools are beneficial but not a requirement.
- Effective and persuasive negotiator.
- Proven success building a pipeline within identified strategic accounts, moving opportunities through the sales cycle; proposing, presenting and discussing solutions with key decision-makers. Proven track record of achieving/exceeding revenue targets.
- Excellent B2B sales and customer retention experience.
WORK EXPERIENCE – MINIMUM REQUIRED
5 years of related experience
Team management experience
Required: Bachelors Degree or equivalent
Business Acumen and Straight Talk
Customer First Focus
Inclusion and Collaboration
Leading and Developing
Livingston is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace.
For Canada: Livingston is an equal opportunity employer and committed to creating and sustaining an inclusive environment in which all individuals are treated with dignity, respect and one which reflects the diversity of the community in which we operate. Accommodations are available for applicants and employees with disabilities throughout the recruitment process. If you require accommodations for interviews or other meetings, please advise when submitting your application.
Your application has been successfully submitted.