International Trade Compliance Manager
Full Job Description
The International Trade Compliance Manager (ITCM) will provide strategic leadership on current and future product and category compliance requirements for export around the world.
This role will be responsible for understanding international trade compliance and/or country speciﬁc import/export compliance requirements and be able to develop clear benchmarks and processes required to meet these standards. The individual will be communicating with Ace International (AIH) retailers, vendors, and AIH team regarding documentation and requirements to achieve these country speciﬁc compliance requirements and meet international trade regulation. The individual will maintain processes and policies that support the collection, accessibility, and communication of the category compliance documentation and retention.
The ITCM will support short and long-term vision and strategy for new and existing AIH business. This role will work in conjunction with the Oak Brook, Mexico, China, and Global Sale teams in developing compliance for products and develop relationships with 3rd party compliance agencies, overseeing all external vendor research, negotiations, and communications. This position will be responsible for identifying international trends that could impact Ace’s exports for category, product, and labeling compliance.
The role additionally requires a proactive work ethic, relationship-building skills, analytical skills, strategic thinking, communication skills, resourcefulness, research, the ability to work effectively with cross-functional team members, multi-tasking, and time management skills.
What you’ll do
Strategy and International Compliance
- Drive international trade compliance excellence in accordance with country specific regulations pertaining to global trade and ensuring compliance with corporate, group and divisional policies.
- Lead in development, implementation and disseminating policies in partnership with Merchant, Retailer, Sales, and 3rd Parties to mitigate risk.
- Support the growth of multiple international teams and programs in over 69 import countries.
- Act as an advisor and liaison on behalf of the AIH retailer, working closely with site leadership and program managers on applicable trade compliance matters.
- Ensure International standards for global highly regulated commodities chemical, water, gas and electric for testing, packaging, and shipping requirements are adhere to.
- Collaborate with Merchandising for future category for HTS Codes and duty rate
- Determine the importing countries regulation, testing and labeling requirements.
- Protect the intellectual properties of AIH private label and trademarks
- Ensure the product chosen from the AIH convention has proper labeling requirements, country of origin, multiple language, etc.
Export and Departmental Planning
- Partner with merchandising to monitor changes to landed cost.
- Develop a vendor compliance program and dynamic audit process.
- Communicate audit results and develop action plans to address issues.
- Partner with internal and external stakeholders to develop AIH Export training.
- Maintain a relationship with the AIH retailers to understand/solve trading barriers.
- Develop a network for assistance with intercountry regulations.
- Lead AIH compliance documentation and policies. Develop and standardize effective & efﬁcient processes, while keeping AIH complaint.
- Facilitate AIH central repository for compliance information for retailer, vendors, and compliance organizations in a timely matter. Partner with category management team to maintain all product documentation in the central repository.
Inventory/Supply Chain Support
- In the event of non-compliance, partner with internal and external resources to develop a corrective action plan.
- Evaluate and determine program continuance, and re-certiﬁcation, timing, and process. Track and action all certiﬁcations and expirations.
- Proactively pursue documentation needed from vendors/labs/ factories and provide required certiﬁcations in a timely manner.
- Ensure communication of initiatives are clearly understood and articulated to the retailers and vendors.
What you will need:
Knowledge, Experience, and Competencies:
- Product Review – For testing. Regulations, and restrictions for intercountry importing/exporting and sale requirement.
- Strategic thinking – Ability to envision, create and present strategy trade barriers in additional options to drive disruptive wholesale and/or retail growth.
- Leadership – Demonstrated and active leadership across the organization, vendors, and retailers as authority in respective category. Superior problem-solving skills.
- Negotiation skills – Superior negotiation skills with proven results leveraging company scale, business drivers, and strategies
- Presentation skills – Ability to plan, assemble and present with excellence strategy, execution, and updates to leadership, across the organization, vendors, and retailers
Experience and Technical Requirements
- 5+ years of work experience with foreign companies in the compliance function
- 3-5 years of experience in a retail environment Global understanding of compliance best practices
- Demonstrated ability to lead, inﬂuence and manage both internal and external partners to drive common goals and strategy and achieve continued improvements, results, and successes.
- Ability to think strategically and cast a vision coupled with a realistic mission
- Must understand different countries and their cultural challenges along with proven ability to work cross-functionally with internal departments
- Results oriented – ability to drive results and proactively shift efforts as trends and business variables change
- Strong analytical, organizational, negotiation and planning skills necessary
- Fluent in English both written and spoken; second language of Spanish or Mandarin, a plus.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Business, International Business or related ﬁeld strongly preferred
- Ability to travel both domestically and internationally up to 10%
We want to hear from you!
When most people think of career opportunities with Ace Hardware, they often think of the helpful cashiers and sales associates at their local store. However, have you also considered the people behind the scenes who select, promote, ship and process the invoices for more than 75,000 products? Maybe you haven't, but we'd like you to. Because together we help our customers take care of their homes. Come find out why a career with the Ace Hardware Corporation is one of America's best kept secrets.
Equal Opportunity Employer
Ace Hardware Corporation and its subsidiaries are committed to a policy of promoting equal employment opportunities. The company recognizes the importance of diversity and leveraging the skills and talents of all people to the mutual advantage of each individual and the organization. The company is committed to the prevention of employment discrimination related to race, religion, color, sex (including sexual harassment), gender identity, national origin, age, marital status, disability and military or veteran status, sexual orientation or any other action covered by federal or applicable state/local laws.
Your application has been successfully submitted.