Full Job Description
JAS is an international, non-asset-based supply chain services and solutions company. Our services include air and ocean freight forwarding, contract logistics, customs brokerage, distribution, inbound logistics, truckload brokerage and other supply chain management services, including consulting, the coordination of purchase orders and customized management services.
The role of the import specialist is to process and handle air and ocean import shipments for our customers, ensuring the highest quality standards and providing service solutions that meet or exceed our customer’s requirements. An import specialist may also oversee the Customs House Brokerage (CHB) process and ensure compliance with laws and regulations, as well as JAS Forwarding operating procedures. This position may be responsible for the completion of all custom house broker transactions and other government agency regulations in a timely manner.ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS:
- Prepare, review and process appropriate documents (i.e. customers classification, commercials invoices, etc.) ensuring files contain all necessary copies, are accurate and in the proper sequence
- Process customs entries and check customs release details to ensure any discrepancies are handled promptly and accurately
- Receive and track customer bookings/shipments, update client of shipment status/delays, dispatch for delivery, collect proof of delivery (POD), cost and invoice all files
- Comply with all company business process guidelines
- Bill/Invoice each file to the respective customers paying close attention to payment terms for the responsible party
- Resolve and reconcile incorrect payables by working with vendors and overseas offices
- Assist sales, department manager(s) and colleagues in compiling quotes
- Provide accurate job costing forecast ensuring all payables, receivables and accruals are set and properly managed per company rules and guidelines
- Provide responsive customer service
- Dispatch freight for delivery, maintain communication with trucker throughout delivery
- Other duties as requested
- Excellent organizational skills
- Excellent Communication skill
- Strong computer skills including Microsoft Office suite a plus
- Detail oriented, able to multitask and meet deadlines
- Able to work in a team and independently
- Knowledge of US customs laws, practices and procedures
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE:
- High School Diploma is ac plus or GED required
- Minimum 3 years’ experience in imports or combination of education and expertise required
- Experience and knowledge regarding import entry procedures, compliance, rules and regulations preferred
- Knowledge of First Port of Arrival (FPOA) entry processes is preferred
- FDA experience preferred
- Knowledge of Importer Security Filing (ISF) preferred
- Good working knowledge of OGA transactions preferred
100% performed in climate-controlled internal office environment working under normal office conditions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to sit; stand; walk; use hands and finger to feel and handle; reach with arms and hands; talk and hear. While performing the duties of this job, the employee frequently is required to stoop, kneel, and crouch; lift weight or exert a force up to a maximum of 25 pounds .
Follow the Company HR Policy, the Code of Business Conduct and department policies and procedures, including protecting confidential company information, attending work punctually and regularly, and following good safety practices in all activities.
The responsibilities associated with this job will change from time to time in accordance with the Company’s business needs. More specifically, the incumbent may be required to perform additional and/or different responsibilities from those set forth above.
The above declarations are not intended to be an all-inclusive list of the duties and responsibilities of the job described, nor are they intended to be such a listing of the skills and abilities required to do the job. Rather, they are intended only to describe the general nature of the job.
DEFINITIONS: (if any abbreviation, the meaning needs to be inserted)
Management retains discretion to add or change duties of this position at any time.
JAS Forwarding (USA), Inc. is an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, ethnicity, disability, religion, national origin, gender, gender identity, gender expression, marital status, sexual orientation, age, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Where required by state law and/or city ordinance; this employer will provide the Social Security Administration (SSA) and, if necessary, the Department of Homeland Security (DHS), with information from each new employee’s Form I-9 to confirm work authorization.
NOTICE TO APPLICANTS
JAS USA IS A CUSTOMS BROKER, GOVERNED BY FEDERAL REGULATION. FEDERAL REGULATIONS PROVIDE THAT JAS MAY HAVE IT BROKERAGE LICENSE SUSPENDED OR REVOKED IF IT “KNOWINGLY EMPLOYED, OR CONTINUES TO EMPLOY, ANY PERSON WHO HAS BEEN CONVICTED OF A FELONY, WITHOUT WRITTEN APPROVAL OF THAT EMPLOYMENT FROM THE ASSISTANT COMMISSIONER.” JAS WILL PERFORM A BACKGROUND CHECK TO DETERMINE IF YOU HAVE BEEN CONVICTED OF A FELONY AND IF SO, ABSENT SPECIAL CIRCUMSTANCES, YOU WILL NOT BE HIRED OR WILL BE TERMINATED IMMEDIATELY.
Your application has been successfully submitted.