Director of Build & Manufacturing Engineering
Full Job Description
Director of Build & Manufacturing Engineering, Dream Chaser product line, is responsible for direction and management of our manufacturing/build engineering teams & metrology and tooling team. This role will cover a wide range of functional areas including structures, mechanical systems, fluid systems, avionics/electrical systems and thermal protection systems. It will include managing the teams responsible for the physical build of the Dream Chaser product line. We are looking for entrepreneurial and driven professionals to help us build a platform in space to improve life on earth.Sierra Space, based in Louisville, Colorado with operations in Madison, Wisconsin and Durham, North Carolina, designs and manufactures advanced spacecraft, satellites, propulsion and environmental systems, spacecraft subsystems and components for the U.S. government (including NASA), commercial customers and international organizations.
Learn more about Sierra Space
- Lead a team of talented manufacturing and build engineers to realize the build of new spacecraft
- Focal point for build strategy on current and future Dream Chaser vehicles
- Develop the tooling vision and strategy for development vehicle builds that will develop into production builds on subsequent vehicles
- Ability to decide between a mix of permanent tooling, temporary tooling and metrology to complete these builds in aggressive timelines
- Ability to identify waste in a process and then aggressively drive that waste out of that process
- Focal point within the company for design for manufacturing/assembly efforts leveraging their relationships within the design engineering organization.
- Maintain productive relationships and influence others outside their immediate responsible area
- Bachelor’s of Science degree in Mechanical Engineering, Manufacturing Engineering, Aerospace, Automotive or other related engineering discipline.
- 4+ yrs product and process design and development experience
- 4+ yrs experience in an engineering or manufacturing leadership position
- Relevant work experience may substitute for required education.
- Proven track record of building a technical based team including hiring, coaching & developing a high performance team within a changing environment.
- Experience working with a design engineering organization and providing design feedback to influence the design from a manufacturability, sourceability and cost perspective.
- Ability to make decisions and operate in the grey without all the information and data available that might be desired.
- Exposure to a wide variety of manufacturing processes both bespoke one off prototype processes and higher volume rate production. Including machining, composite fabrication, structural assembly & testing
- Comfortable working on the factory floor with engineers and technicians to realize or improve all aspects of production.
- Development and implementation of systems within a highly technical startup environment
- Position may require extended work hours to support 24/7 build operations
- Flexibility to travel during test and launch campaigns
- The ability to obtain and maintain a Security Clearance may be required
- Learn more about the background check process for Security Clearances
To conform to U.S. Government international trade regulations, applicant must be a U.S. Citizen, lawful permanent resident of the U.S., protected individual as defined by 8 U.S.C. 1324b(a)(3), or eligible to obtain the required authorizations from the U.S. Department of State or U.S. Department of Commerce.
With 30+ years of proven spaceflight heritage, Sierra Space has provided more than 4,000 space systems, subsystems and components to customers worldwide, and participated in more than 500 missions to space, including to Mars. The company has technology in production and in development to enable space habitats for short- and long-duration space travel, a fleet of Dream Chaser spaceplanes, and the first free-flying commercial space station. Please visit www.sierraspace.com to learn more about Sierra Space, its business areas, capabilities, programs, products and services.
Estimated Starting Salary Range: $180,679.95 - $248,434.93Sierra Space offers annual incentive pay based upon performance that is commensurate with the level of the position.
Sierra Space offers a generous benefit package, including medical, dental, and vision plans, 401(k) with 150% match up to 8%, life insurance, 3 weeks paid time off, tuition reimbursement, and
As COVID-19 continues to significantly impact our employees, families and communities, we are taking action to address the increased risk and uncertainty COVID-19 and associated variants pose in the workplace. SNC is committed to supporting our employees while ensuring we continue to meet essential national security needs of our country.
With employee health and safety as our top priority, and as a federal contractor, SNC will continue to require COVID-19 vaccination status for all employees including new hires. In accordance with applicable requirements, all current and newly hired employees who are unvaccinated may be required to adhere to enhanced onsite safety protocols including weekly COVID-19 testing, face coverings, and social distancing.
The status of applicable COVID-19 vaccination requirements are subject to change depending on applicable court orders and the course of ongoing litigation. Candidates may later be required to show proof of COVID-19 vaccination or have an approved exemption.
At Sierra Space, our mission is to dream, innovate, inspire and empower the next generation to transform humanity through technology and imagination. As an Equal Opportunity Employer, we welcome our employees to bring their whole selves to their work. Sierra Space is committed to fostering an inclusive, accepting, and diverse environment free of discrimination on the basis of race, color, age, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or status as a protected veteran. Contributions to Sierra Space come in many shapes and styles, and we believe diversity in our workforce fosters new and greater ways to dream, innovate, and inspire.
Your application has been successfully submitted.