Programs Manager, Ethics & Compliance
Job Profile Summary
bp is seeking a practical, collaborative compliance professional with significant experience of (a) designing, operating and/or advising on ethics and compliance programmes in complex, multinational businesses, (b) managing anti-bribery and corruption risk in high-risk jurisdictions, and (c) managing compliance risks from participating in joint ventures.
The Ethics and Compliance (E&C) Programmes Manager will sit in bp’s E&C function and will play a key role in developing bp’s global ethics and compliance programme.
The successful candidate will have:
- The experience necessary to advise with minimal supervision,
- the interpersonal skills to thrive in a collaborative environment, and
- a practical approach, focused on material risks / activity (with the experience and courage to identify what is not material) and on helping bp businesses achieve their objectives within the law and bp’s code and risk appetite.
- Work collaboratively with others to maintain and improve bp’s global ethics and compliance programme, focusing on mitigating ABC/AML, CAT and ITR risks in a practical, risk-based manner, especially as they relate to participation in joint ventures, to ensure bp’s programme remains effective in light of changes in regulatory expectations, external developments and changes within bp.
- Areas of focus include:
- design and improvement of:
- bp policies, procedures and compliance processes
- guidance notes, tools and training materials
- programmatic management of risks posed by:
- operations in high risks jurisdictions
- joint ventures
- third parties
- high value gifts and entertainment
- social investment and donations
- membership of trade associations, and
- Be a source of expert advice within the E&C function on the programmatic management of risk, especially in relation to joint venture
- Train members of bp’s E&C community about bp’s E&C programme and how to operate it
Bachelor’s Degree / equivalent professional qualification or experience
Legal or accountancy qualification
- Significant prior experience:
- designing, operating and/or advising on ethics and compliance programmes in complex, multinational businesses
- managing compliance risks from participating in joint ventures
- managing anti-bribery and corruption risk in high-risk jurisdictions
- High standard of analytical, drafting, communication and advisory skills
- Ability to operate effectively in a complex, collaborative environment, building strong relationships with key partners and colleagues at multiple levels of the organisation
- Strong senior influencing skills – this role will meet with senior partners solo and be able to challenge them respectfully yet effectively
- Sound risk judgment, a practical bias, the energy to build consensus, the self-confidence to take a firm stand where appropriate and a passion to help businesses succeed compliantly
- Strong work ethic and creative ability to achieve identified goals, both individually and as a team player in a global function
In addition, it would be advantageous if you had:
- Familiarity with international trade sanctions and/or competition and anti-trust, with a desire to learn more
- Knowledge and familiarity of bp’s NOJV risk management process and working with key partners in that area
- Experience with a range of bp businesses, including trading
- Experience in the oil and gas industry and/or energy industry
Why join bp?
At bp, we support our people to learn and grow in a diverse and ambitious environment. We believe that our team is strengthened by diversity. We are committed to fostering an inclusive environment in which everyone is respected and treated fairly.
There are many aspects of our employees’ lives that are meaningful, so we offer benefits to enable your work to fit with your life. These benefits can include flexible working options, a generous paid parental leave policy, and excellent retirement benefits, among others!
Strategy, Sustainability & Ventures
Job Family Group
Ethics & Compliance Group
Yes - up to 10%
United Kingdom, United States of America
STRATEGY & SUSTAINABILITY
If you’re a sustainability focused strategic thinker, this could be for you: The purpose of strategy & sustainability is to define a value-adding, sustainability-led strategic direction for us to deliver on our ambition of reimagining energy for people and our planet. Working within S&S, you will be embedded in the centre of the organisation bringing together strategy, sustainability and capital allocation into a group-wide framework and promoting ethics and compliance across the organisation.
Join us and help us achieve our purpose through:
A modern, dynamic and collaborative approach to strategy, sustainability and capital allocation – you will work with the businesses, finance and the broad organisation to support the delivery of our ambition, our aims and our financial aspirations. Together we will help frame and make the optimal trade-offs and choices for us.
A lens on sustainability as a competitive advantage – you will drive sustainability to unleash new business opportunities, growth and value to us.
Proprietary bp insights – you will focus on developing a distinctive understanding of global economics, energy markets, customer needs and competitors to support our businesses and strategy.
Proactive shaping of external policy – you will define where our company stands on matters of public policy – in line with our aims – as well as how we can contribute to proactively shape the external environment across regions.
Strategic oversight of our carbon management activities – you will coordinate and drive progress on our net zero ambition and aims.
Effective ethics and compliance as a driver of organisational and business sustainability – you will support our bp business groups and other entities in promoting an ethical culture and work environment, and effective compliance risk management.
Enabling our company and its businesses to achieve their goals – where our organisation holds expertise, we will use it collaboratively and constructively.
If you are selected for a position in the United States, your employment will be contingent upon submission to and successful completion of a post-offer/pre-placement drug test(and alcohol screening/medical examination if required by the role) as well as pre-placement verification of the information and qualifications provided during the selection process. The drug screen requires a hair test for which BP must be able to obtain a sufficient hair sample for analysis (~4 cm/1 ½” scalp, or > 2 cm/¾” body – arms & armpits/legs/chest)
As part of our dedication to the diversity of our workforce, BP is committed to Equal Employment Opportunity. Applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard for race, color, gender, religion, national origin, disability, veteran status, military status, age, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity, genetic information, neurodiversity/neurocognitive functioning or any other protected group status. We are also committed to providing reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with disabilities and disabled veterans in our job application procedures. If you need assistance or an accommodation due to a disability, you may contact us or have one of your representatives contact us at PeopleCareHouston@bp.com; or by telephone at 833 478 7480 8am-5pm CST/CDT Monday-Friday.
Read the Equal Employment Opportunity is the Law poster and the poster supplement - for more information about Equal Employment Opportunities. (Spanish version)
BP is an equal employment opportunity and affirmative action employer. View our policy statement
Your application has been successfully submitted.