Lead Compliance Consultant, Merchandise Import Compliance
Full Job Description
Job Title: Lead Compliance Consultant, Merchandise Import Compliance
Date written: September 2022
As a Fortune 50 company with more than 350,000 team members worldwide, Target is an iconic brand and one of America's leading retailers.
Working at Target means the opportunity to help all families discover the joy of everyday life. Caring for our communities is woven into who we are, and we invest in the places we collectively live, work and play. We prioritize relationships, fuel and develop talent by creating growth opportunities, and succeed as one Target team. At our core, our purpose is ingrained in who we are, what we value, and how we work. It’s how we care, grow, and win together.
To match the signature style and passion of Target’s distinctive retail brand, Target Legal Affairs is a dynamic and deeply knowledgeable team of experts. Whether specializing in law, government affairs, employee relations, risk, compliance, ethics, security or food safety, we use our expertise and influence to advocate for Target, support Target’s business and mitigate risk for the company. We work with both internal and external entities on key issues that affect Target’s ability to productively, ethically and securely conduct business. Through our understanding of Target’s business models and operations, we help facilitate Target’s growth, and provide guidance that leaders rely on to make appropriate, well-informed decisions. Simultaneously, we help protect the business by applying our comprehensive understanding of risk and the law on issues that impact our brand, guests, team members, stores, distribution centers and corporate locations.
Here, you’ll enjoy working autonomously with a healthy work-life balance. Your passion for learning the business, collaborating with others and building relationships with senior leaders and key business partners that you support will be essential to tackling the ever-changing legal and risk-based challenges we face in a dynamic and fast-paced retail environment.
A role in Third-Party Risk Management & Compliance means providing support and managing key risk and compliance programs related to third-parties Target does business with.
As a Lead Compliance Consultant, you will:
- Lead strategy development, policy maintenance, and program execution for Target’s merchandise sourcing and import compliance obligations including raw materials, country of production, global sanctions, and OFAC programs.
- Maintain an intimate understanding of regulatory risks associated with federal economic sanctions regimes and import requirements. Conduct risk assessments, document control standards, policies and procedures, develop training and communication, monitor and test the effectiveness of controls, manage risk treatment and remediation, and sustain and optimize applicable compliance programs.
- Facilitate the regulatory change management process as new laws and regulatory requirements are introduced.
- In partnership with the business traceability team, develop a risk-based due diligence system for foreign vendors to mitigate sanction, import controls, and reputational risks.
- Work with cross-functional teams to identify, prioritize, and implement technological solutions that increase supply chain transparency and reduce counter-party risk through enhanced entity screening.
- Develop and maintain an evolving screening program for US sanctions regimes (sanctioned entity lists, etc.) including OFAC, Uyghur Forced Labor Prevention Act (UFLPA), etc.
- Manage country of production process and coordinate COP cross functional team to make recommendations to senior management regarding country of production decisions.
- Manage governance and training and awareness for Target’s raw materials compliance programs.
- Develop, implement, and improve the policies and practices for import and raw materials compliance programs, consistent with Target’s Compliance Management System Framework.
- Serve as subject matter expert, advisor, and thought partner for import and raw materials compliance issues, educating partners on compliance requirements, and establishing training and communication campaigns.
- Establish metrics and reporting capabilities to monitor controls, identify trends, evaluate process effectiveness, and recommend improvements or solutions to identified risks.
- Instill a culture of compliance and continuous improvement with partners, using data to influence decisions around control procedures, new technologies, or changes in practice or policy, and execute appropriate remediation follow-up where controls are insufficient or not operating as intended.
- Develop annual program improvement plans based on a strategic analysis of enforcement actions, business operations, risk findings and process changes.
- Develop and maintain effective and influential relationships with stakeholders responsible for the execution and integration of compliance programs, policies and initiatives; key partners include but are not limited to: Corporate Compliance & Ethics, Corporate Security, Food Safety Quality Assurance, Global Trade Services, Government Affairs, Product Safety & Quality Assurance, Responsible Sourcing, Owned-Brand Sourcing & Development, Merchandising, Sr Risk Managers, Law Department, and Compliance Legal & Risk Services.
- Represent Target with external industry groups and establish peer circles for benchmarking and industry learning.
- Contribute to, and maintain a positive team culture by demonstrating behaviors consistent with Target’s values of Inclusivity, Connection and Drive.
- Other duties as assigned
Core responsibilities of this job are described within this job description. Job duties may change at any time due to business needs
- Bachelor’s degree in Business or other relevant field of study and/or the equivalent combination of education and experience
- 5+ years of directly related work experience in compliance, operations or regulatory change management
- Ability to facilitate meetings, resolve conflict, build consensus, establish rapport and collaborate effectively, internally and externally, across all levels of an organization
- Analytical and critical thinking skills with the ability to translate regulations and guidance into executable strategies, leverage data to influence decisions, identify risks and improvement opportunities, and distill complex issues into actionable plans
- Highly organized with the ability to independently adapt, prioritize and successfully manage multiple tasks or projects in response to changing, ambiguous or competing priorities
- Ability to apply discretion and sensitivity while working with confidential information
- Ability to develop effective and collaborative relationships with key business leaders in order to drive accountability, instill confidence, and influence outcomes across business functions
- Demonstrated ability to interpret requirements and align deliverables with strategic intent
- Certified Compliance and Ethics Professional (CCEP)
- Master's, JD or other advanced degree in a related field
- Experience working in a matrixed environment within the retail industry
- Previous experience developing and overseeing sustainable compliance programs
This position may be considered for a Full-Time Remote or Hybrid work arrangement based on Target’s needs. A Hybrid work arrangement means the team members core role will be a blend of virtual and onsite at a Target location. A Full-Time Remote work arrangement means the team member works full-time from home or an alternate location that’s not a Target location, does not have a desk at their primary HQ work location and may travel to HQ up to 4 times a year.
Colorado, Connecticut or Nevada Residents Only: The salary range for Colorado, Connecticut or Nevada residents is $85,400 to $153,700. Pay is based on several factors including but not limited to education, work experience, certifications, etc. In addition to your salary, Target cares about and invests in you as a team member, so that you can take care of yourself and your family. Find competitive benefits from financial and education to well-being and beyond.
Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA)
Target will provide reasonable accommodations (such as a qualified sign language interpreter or other personal assistance) with the application process upon your request as required to comply with applicable laws. If you have a disability and require assistance in this application process, please visit your nearest Target store or Distribution Center or reach out to Guest Services at 1-800-440-0680 for additional information.
Your application has been successfully submitted.