National Account Manager
Full Job Description
Stratas Foods LLC is the leading supplier of fats and oils to the Foodservice, Food Ingredients and Retail Private Label markets in North America and is a producer of quality bulk and packaged dressings, mayonnaise and sauces. Stratas Foods was formed in October 2008 as a 50/50 joint venture between ACH Food Companies (ACH) and Archer Daniels Midland (ADM).
Manufacturing facilities are located in Dallas and Houston, TX; Decatur and Quincy, IL; Englewood, NJ; Fresno, CA; Nashville, TN; and Valdosta, GA. Corporate offices are located in Memphis, TN. We are committed to maintaining a progressive workplace by utilizing the ideas, skills and talents of all of our employees. We strive to make Stratas Foods a great place to work and are building a team capable of meeting our business goals.
This is a remote position and qualified candidates will live in a major city in Illinois, Wisconsin or Ohio.
The National Account Manager has direct management responsibilities for assigned Food Ingredient accounts and prospects for assigned territory. While the role involves sizeable existing customer management, the NAM must also exhibit passion and tenacity for developing new opportunities; approximately 40% of time will be focused on prospecting. The NAM is responsible for developing strong relationships with key personnel at all levels of these accounts, including Procurement, R&D, Marketing, Operations, Category Managers, etc. The NAM is involved in all aspects of customer relations and is responsible for the achievement of specified volume and Market Profit objectives for their customers and territory. The sales responsibilities within Food Ingredients are very diverse with multiple product categories that have long term new growth potential across multiple Stratas product categories. Therefore, a NAM must have a thorough understanding of the full spectrum of the food industry channels and Stratas’ product portfolio. The NAM plays a vital role in communicating market dynamics (i.e. market trends, customer needs, customer volume forecasts) back to the Stratas Management Team. The NAM role involves 50% travel or more.
- Achieve volume and market profit goals with key customers and for their prospective region. Must spend a minimum of 40% of time originating new accounts (cold calling).
- Be a point of differentiation by using Consultative Selling Techniques to build relationships, identify customer needs, to advocate value-added solutions and close business opportunities (i.e. securing new business).
- Must demonstrate the ability to take control of customer dialogue and to challenge customer paradigms in a constructive, consultative manner that offers a path toward “wins” for both the buyer and the seller.
- Manage all phases of Customer Account Management - including strategic account planning and execution of daily tactical activities such as: deduction management, marketing directives, samples, label/packaging management, category management, inventory management, expenses, competitive information, export administration, address quality and service issues, internal/external communications and other account management functions.
- Become a trusted commodity information source and consultant to key customers.
- Management of Business Partners. This would include determining the value of the Business Partner to Stratas, developing annual quantifiable and mutually agreed upon objectives for each BP.
- Responsible for aggressively managing the business by utilizing various company-provided sales tools. These should be utilized routinely and completed on time.
- Work within all Budget Guidelines as established by Stratas Management.
- Participate in customer, regional, national and international trade shows.
- Responsible for following and accurately implementing directives.
Education: (BS/BA Degree in Food Science, Business or related field or equivalent education and experience.
Related Experience: Minimum of 5-10 years of sales experience in the food industry, with a strong preference for extensive experience with ingredient sales to manufacturers. A diverse (club, export, foodservice, grocery and industrial) food channel background is a plus. A proven record of leadership and effective sales performance is a must. A technical background is a plus.
Equipment/Software Skills: Skilled in Microsoft Office applications and other software applications as required.
Essential Physical and Mental Requirements
Physical: While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to talk, listen, taste and handle objects. Because the position requires frequent travel (50 to 70% outside office) the individual be able to drive a car and withstand the rigors of air travel, time changes and ever-changing weather conditions. Must occasionally lift and/or move up to 50 pounds.
Mental/Reasoning: Must have ability to manage multiple tasks within each day. Ability to resolve conflicts and issues are a constant challenge. Must have strong analytical skills to provide corrective actions for customer issues. Must interact with other key support functions constantly to provide direction and counsel. Must have strong people skills, for this position requires constant interaction with customers and Stratas employees. Must be able to balance outside activity with inside needs.
Problem Solving – Identifies and resolves problems in a timely manner; gathers and analyzes information skillfully; develops alternative solutions.
Interpersonal Skills – Focuses on solving conflict, not blaming; maintains confidentiality; listens to others without interrupting. Great leadership, networking and teamwork skills.
Oral Communication – Speaks clearly and persuasively in positive or negative situations; listens and gets clarification; demonstrates group presentation skills.
Written Communication – Writes clearly and informatively; presents numerical data effectively; able to read and interpret written information.
Teamwork – Balances team and individual responsibilities; exhibits objectivity and openness to others views; gives and welcomes feedback
Business Acumen – Understands business implications of decisions; demonstrates knowledge of market and completion; aligns work with strategic goals.
Professionalism – Approaches others in a tactful manner; reacts well under pressure. Accepts responsibility for own actions. Follows through on commitments.
Initiative – Volunteers readily, seeks increased responsibilities; asks for and offers help when needed. Undertakes self-development activities.
Stratas Foods is an equal opportunity employer and will not discriminate against any applicant or employee in any manner prohibited by law, including but not limited to, on the basis of race or color, religion, gender, age, genetic information, national origin/ancestry, mental or physical disability, family status/marital status, sexual orientation, military/veteran status, and any other legally protected status.
Your application has been successfully submitted.