Trade Compliance Specialist
Full Job Description
Wolverine Worldwide is a global marketer of branded footwear, apparel, and accessories. With an established global footprint that spans approximately 200 countries and territories, as well as a rock-solid infrastructure, Wolverine Worldwide is dedicated to advancing the following brands that comprise the ever-expanding portfolio: Bates, Chaco, Cat Footwear, Harley Davidson Footwear, Hush Puppies, Keds, Merrell, Saucony, Sperry, Sweaty Betty and Wolverine. Wolverine Worldwide’s continued success is driven by our ability to stay true to our simple mission: we empower, engage and inspire our consumers – every step of the way.
The Trade Compliance Specialist will support U.S., Canadian and European classification and duty management activities. Ensures that Wolverine is in compliance with the laws and regulations of various Customs authorities and all other governmental agencies that impact customs and export control compliance.
- Oversee the qualification of footwear and apparel for Free Trade Agreements and other special trade programs.
- Maintain appropriate record keeping as required by law.
- Define and maintain compliance KPI’s and KCI’s.
- Control compliance for classified product.
- Maintain relationships with various government contacts and industry trade organizations.
- Act as a consultant to brands on duty savings opportunities including favorable sourcing strategies related to Free Trade Agreements globally.
- Analyze and offer strategic insight to duty spend by product to brands, sourcing and upper management.
- Serve as a consultant and subject matter expert (SME) to provide necessary services to other departments concerning customs issues.
- Support standardization and harmonization of Customs compliance operations and processes.
- Work with brands and sourcing to manage duty spend through duty engineering processes.
- Deliver compliance improvements and savings opportunities.
- Oversee import and export compliance.
- Responsible for special programs compliance including FTZ and Duty Drawback.
- Possess and apply a broad knowledge of principles, practices and procedures.
- Own and maintain procedures in functional areas.
- Promote a business culture of trade compliance and ethics.
- Perform duties consistent with the company’s AAP/EEO goals and policies.
- Perform other duties as required/assigned by manager.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities Required
- Bachelor’s degree in International Business, Finance, or Supply Chain Management
- Basic financial accounting knowledge
- Professional education/degree/certification in Customs matters (e.g. Licensed Customs Broker)
- At least 3-5 years of experience in Trade Compliance or related field with demonstrated working knowledge in Trade Compliance (ex. Imports, Exports, Special Programs, Supply Chain Security, and tariff engineering)
- Knowledge of the harmonized tariff schedule and a good understanding of the classification of product process
- Effective communication skills and experience working in a customer-focused environment
- In-depth knowledge of trade compliance regulations
- Analytical skills and able to work collaboratively in a team environment
- Experience working for an importer
- Proficient in Microsoft Office applications (Outlook, Office, Excel, Access, SharePoint)
- Experience with ERP systems
- Familiarity with tariff engineering
- Previous experience classifying footwear and/or apparel a plus
- Proactive in recognizing and adjusting to shifting priorities
- Ability to complete assignments accurately and within specified time frames, with minimal supervision and direction
Normal office environment. Some travel required.
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed and are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties and skills which may be required.
Wolverine Worldwide has a flexible, hybrid work schedule, with three days in office and two days remote.
Committed to a diverse workforce, we are an Equal Opportunity Employer (Minorities/Women/Veterans/Disabled).
Your application has been successfully submitted.