Associate General Counsel - Americas
Location: North America, USA, Washington DC
Division: Smiths Interconnect
Job Function: Legal and Compliance
The role of Associate General Counsel, Americas is a legal/commercial/compliance role within the Interconnect division and will involve advising and supporting the Interconnect businesses across the Americas (as well as Asia Pacific through coordination with the Smiths Group Legal Asia Pacific team). The role will be remote (in the eastern time zone).
The role encompasses two key areas: (i) the day-to-day proactive management of legal and quasi legal matters across the risk spectrum and (ii) delivering advice/support for certain of Interconnect’s clearly defined strategic initiatives.
Key to the role is getting to understand the Interconnect business and to develop close working relationships with employees across each layer of the organization including executive/senior management and the business teams in order to shape and drive strategy and improve the identification, assessment and management of legal risk.
Duties & Responsibilities
- Supporting the Interconnect business on delivering its clearly defined strategic initiatives. Shaping future strategic direction.
- Working closely with the business units to support their material day-to-day needs across the risk spectrum – e.g., business development, commercial, corporate, contract (including with government and government prime/sub-prime contractors; and the ongoing compliance of such contracts), IP, dispute resolution, compliance, international trade, etc. – utilizing Smiths Group Legal resource or external counsel as appropriate. Delivering advice to a high standard, within timeframes required by the business and in a manner that meets commercial needs.
- Advising/supporting the business on its Special Security Agreement (SSA) structure and working with others to ensure ongoing compliance with the SSA governance framework.
- Developing strong collaborative working relationships with executive/senior management and the business teams. Travelling to Interconnect sites as appropriate.
- Identifying/anticipating risks and opportunities across the Interconnect business and helping to drive/foster pro-active behaviours and practices.
- Coordinating/supporting other members of the Interconnect (and Smiths Group Legal) function as appropriate.
- Supporting the ethics, compliance, and governance processes; fostering and exemplifying a culture of integrity, credibility and best business practices.
- Developing a strong internal and external network.
Diversity & Inclusion
We believe that different perspectives and backgrounds are what make a company flourish. All qualified applicants will receive equal consideration for employment regardless of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, economic status, disability, age, or any other legally protected characteristics. We are proud to be an inclusive company with values grounded in equality and ethics, where we celebrate, support, and embrace diversity.
- Law degree from an accredited U.S. law school
- Licensed to practice law
- At least 7+ years Post-Qualification Experience and significant in-house experience
- Significant advisory and commercial experience.
- Working knowledge of government contracts and international trade laws and regulations.
- Exposure to (high tech) industrial/manufacturing operations.
- Significant experience of managing risk across the risk spectrum.
- Worked for an international business.
- Interest in new technologies and innovative processes that drive efficiencies in process management.
- Strong collaboration and influencing skills to mobilise colleagues at all levels outside and inside of the legal function in support of strategic objectives and priorities.
- Continuous improvement mindset in relation to delivery of legal service
At Smiths we apply leading-edge technology to design, manufacture and deliver market-leading innovative solutions that meet our customers' evolving needs, and touch the lives of millions of people every day. We are a FTSE100, global business of around 14,600 colleagues, based in 50+ countries. Our solutions have a real impact on lives across the planet, enabling industry, improving healthcare, enhancing security, advancing connectivity and supporting new homes. Our products and services are often critical to our customers’ operations, while our proprietary technology and high service levels help create competitive advantage. We welcome colleagues with a curious mind, who are happy with responsibility, enjoy a challenge and are attracted by the idea of working at a business with a 170+ year history of innovation, and five global divisions, all experts in their field.
About Smiths Interconnect
Smiths Interconnect is a leading provider of technically differentiated electronic components, subsystems, microwave and radio frequency products that ensure high speed, secure connectivity of critical applications in the defence, aerospace, communications and industrial markets. Our microwave technology is used in radar, communication and surveillance systems that are mission-critical and operate in extreme environments in aerospace and defence. Our microwave components and connectors ensure optimal performance, durability and safety of space satellites. Our semi-conductor test products are used to test highly sophisticated semi-conductors and electronic circuits in communication systems, gaming products and computing devices. Our in-flight antenna systems give passengers internet connectivity gate-to-gate on planes around the world. Our connector and cable solutions ensure reliability of critical medical equipment, and safe operation of trains and transport systems.One of five divisions of Smiths Group, Smiths Interconnect employs over 2000 people. We have a global presence selling our products in over 50 countries with manufacturing facilities in nine countries and offices across North America, Europe and Asia.
Your application has been successfully submitted.