Sr Product Specialist I - Hybrid Remote
With the ultimate purpose of supporting our Independent Beauty Consultants in maximizing HER potential in both personal and business growth, this role leads product development projects under the guidance of the Product Manager (Product Portfolio, Strategy & Planning).
Participates in the development and implementation of global portfolio/ product development plans by independently gathering information and providing key reviews at various points in the planning process, develops analyses of pricing, cost, and competitor information, develops options for products and packaging, and ensures the accurate, consistent communication of information to the manager and to key partners. Generates and evaluates solutions to address timeline issues as they arise and provides recommendations to the Manager and project team.
- Under the direction of the Manager, supports the commercialization of global and regional new product development projects (including but not limited to new product innovation, formula updates, and packaging changes); and commercial innovation projects (including but not limited to value engineering) to support the product lifecycle management of the assigned product portfolio, delivering on profitable growth for the company. Collaborates and communicates with R&D, program management, product research organization, creative, legal/regulatory, and region/ local marketing teams to manage/advance said projects’ timelines.
- Develops new product concepts and strategies in collaboration with the Manager.
- Executes on the strategy for commercial innovation, product innovation, Go to Market plans, and product activation for both new and existing product categories.
- Has a solid understanding and awareness of both internal/external Categories.
- Completes market, competitive, and internal sales performance reviews to understand business/ product opportunities.
- Monitors trends in the competitive landscape and provides insights into the product portfolio.
- Leads the creation of New Product Development project requests to the product leadership team and regional marketing teams.
- Provides formula and package direction to internal partners for product development. Evaluates and provides preliminary approvals on product and package aesthetics.
- Works with brand positioning team to create product positioning documents for new products as well as updating current product positioning documents for commercial innovation opportunities.
- Prepares pricing recommendations based on competitive analysis, secondary research, and internal cost parameters.
- Partners with a product research organization to develop and recommend the scope and methodology of consumer and product research including qualitative consumer research, consumer claims tests, and, when required, clinical testing.
- Provides post-product launch analysis to senior leadership to evaluate the success of recent launches and to help design potential improvements for the future. Reviews independent sales force and industry feedback in the form of blogs, editor reviews, etc. Makes recommendations that affect future product launches.
- Communicates effectively and builds key partnerships with key stakeholders across the business.
- Identifies roadblocks and elevates issues to leadership to be able to work effectively and meet business objectives.
- Researches and provides insights, and recommendations into forecasting, and implementation of re-promotional recommendations to achieve Company objectives for sales and profitability.
- Maintains activities in Agile on supporting projects. Uses other systems such as Tableau Qualtrics to provide insights into the work.
- Provides training and onboarding to Product Specialists when required.
Skills & Experience
Experience: 3+ years of Portfolio planning in consumer product preferred;. experience in consumer goods beneficial. Beauty industry experience preferred.
Education: Bachelor/University Degree in Business/marketing/strategy/technical field or related field;
- Demonstrated ability to lead multiple projects with multiple timelines.
- The ability to influence and exchange information on multiple projects with various levels of leadership with a broad and global cross-section of key partners is a must.
- Ability to build strong relationships and collaborate across a multitude of functions and levels.
- Solid business and financial acumen with analytical skills including understanding of financial principles and how to demonstrate this knowledge to make sound business recommendations to achieve business goals in a complex environment with multiple layers of partners.
- Must have the ability to demonstrate critical thinking skills, problem-solve, assess risks, and coordinate plans across multiple cross-functional teams.
- Excellent interpersonal skills, ability to act as a change agent and adapt to changing business and organizational dynamics.
- Must demonstrate the ability to gather and analyze competitive, cost, and historical information and to prepare price comparison charts.
- Must be able to effectively project manage projects and meet timelines.
- Must demonstrate the ability to develop options and recommend pricing, develop and tabulate results of feedback surveys and ensure the accuracy of communications.
- A good understanding of the core principles of product portfolio management is preferred.
- Must be well organized, have high levels of detail on projects, and handle multiple activities/tasks under pressure.
- Must be proficient in software applications such as MS Excel (development of spreadsheets, import/export, and linking); MS Word; MS PowerPoint; MS Project, MS Teams and MS Outlook, Tableau Qualtrics, or other research SaaS platforms. Oracle Agile software experience is desired.
- Demonstrates the PPSP functional competency behaviors for Sr Specialist Product I.
Looking for a career where you can make a difference?
At Mary Kay we are committed to enriching the lives of women and their families around the world, we offer careers with unlimited opportunities to do something beautiful every day. More than 5,000 employees work in locations around the world. They provide the products, marketing and other support to millions of Independent Beauty Consultants (IBCs) who work as independent contractors, selling our products directly to consumers in nearly 40 markets on five continents.
We are a company that believes in our people and cares for them with truly exceptional benefits. We offer:
- A comprehensive health plan which includes medical, dental, and vision with low premiums
- 401(k) plan
- A generous profit-sharing program
- Free access to on-site fitness center and on-site clinic
Your application has been successfully submitted.