Freight Forwarder, Import & Export
Full Job Description
DSV - Global transport and logistics
In 1976, ten independent hauliers joined forces and founded DSV in Denmark. Since then, DSV has evolved to become the world's 3rd largest supplier of global solutions within transport and logistics. Today, we add value to our customers' entire supply chain by transporting, storing, packaging, re-packaging, processing and clearing all types of goods. We work every day from our many offices in more than 80 countries to ensure a steady supply of goods to production lines, outlets, stores and consumers all over the world. Our reach is global yet our presence is local and close to our customers. Read more at www.dsv.com
Location: USA - Boston, McClellan Hwy
Division: Air & Sea
Job Posting Title: Freight Forwarder, Import & Export
Time Type: Full Time
Wage minimum: $15 per hour
Wage maximum: $30 per hour
40 hour workweek
The primary duty of a Freight Forwarder is to review and process shipment transactions, including all related activities, for one or more major accounts, and to provide excellent, proactive and timely customer service. Serves as the primary contact for all parties concerning assigned account contracts. Performs all duties correctly, cost-efficiently, and according to Company standards using the regular exercise of discretion and independent judgment.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Promote positive relationships by ensuring excellent, timely and proactive customer service at all times and in conjunction with other departments and third parties while monitoring the quality of service produced by the team. Establish detailed profiles and procedures that properly represent import and export processes.
- Receive, review and process high-volume and/or complex import and export transactions for clients, including booking, billing, classifications, processing data through the Company’s system and obtaining consular releases as well as other government agency releases as appropriate
- Check shipments in the warehouse as needed to ensure that the shipping documents correspond to the actual shipments.
- Process bills of lading and provide clear instructions to the team for handling each shipment.
- Ensure shipments of hazardous materials are checked and processed in accordance with all applicable regulations under the applicable government agencies, Code of Federal Regulations.
- Create quotations for individual shipments, including estimating prices for the shipper, selecting transportation companies to use and setting profit margins for individual shipments.
- Review and monitor all Shipper Export Declaration rejections, requests for information from client and any government agency as well as other correspondence.
- Adhere to all domestic and international shipping regulations, communicating changes in domestic and foreign regulation procedures to client, co-workers and third parties in a clear, concise and timely manner.
- Identify transactions and tasks that require special handling, recommend improved processes to management and implement resolutions within assigned scope of responsibility.
- Identify, investigate and resolve all areas of client concern in a timely and proactive manner by monitoring team performance against Company and client standards. Alert client to special areas of concern or potential problems in the shipping process.
Educational background / Work experience
- Three years of experience in a role involving extensive client contact required
- Familiarity with domestic and international geography including countries and major cities
Skills & Competencies
Excellent math skills, along with the ability to calculate freight measurements, weight and convert to international units.
- Extreme attention to detail, including the ability to predict and circumvent issues before they occur and taking the proper corrective action
- Ability to be highly productive while keeping cool under pressure
- Excellent communication skills, both written and verbal
Function / Market & Industry Knowledge / Business Acumen / Processes
- Freight Forwarding experience preferred
- Prior use of CargoWise One a definite plus
- English (reading, writing and verbal)
- Computer skills, including frequent prior use of MS Outlook, Excel and Word
Physical and/or Mental Requirements / Working Conditions
While performing the duties of this job, the employee uses his/her hands to finger, handle or feel objects, tools or controls; reach with hands and arms; stoop, kneel or crouch; talk or hear. The employee uses computer and telephone equipment. The vision requirements of this job include close vision and distance vision.
DSV Air & Sea Inc. employees are hired for an undefined period of time as “at will” employees. This means that an employee may be terminated for any reason, or no reason at all, at any time, provided the discharge does not violate any law*. Additionally, each employee has the right to terminate his/her employment at any time. *Except if employed in Montana, where termination requires just cause.
DSV is an equal employment opportunity employer. Candidates are considered for employment without regard to race, creed, color, national origin, age, sex, religion, ancestry, disability, veteran status, marital status, gender identity, sexual orientation, national origin, or any other characteristic protected by applicable federal, state or local law. If you require special assistance or accommodation while seeking employment with DSV, please contact Human Resources at email@example.com. If you are interested in learning the status of your application, please note you will be contacted directly by the appropriate human resources contact person if you are selected for further consideration. DSV reserves the right to defer or close a vacancy at any time.
DSV – Global transport and logistics
DSV is a dynamic workplace that fosters inclusivity and diversity. We conduct our business with integrity, respecting different cultures and the dignity and rights of individuals. When you join DSV, you are working for one of the very best performing companies in the transport and logistics industry. You’ll join a talented team of more than 75,000 employees in over 80 countries, working passionately to deliver great customer experiences and high-quality services. DSV aspires to lead the way towards a more sustainable future for our industry and are committed to trading on nature’s terms.
We promote collaboration and transparency and strive to attract, motivate and retain talented people in a culture of respect. If you are driven, talented and wish to be part of a progressive and versatile organisation, we’ll support you and your need to achieve your potential and forward your career.
Visit dsv.com and follow us on LinkedIn, Facebook and Twitter.
Your application has been successfully submitted.