Project Manager I R&D
Research & Development
The R&D teams at Mary Kay are passionate about science. They continuously research products that allow our consultants to offer their end-users an experience of unsurpassed quality and unrivaled benefit. The products we develop must make people feel confident about themselves and their choice of Mary Kay. Our research teams travel internationally, finding new ideas and presenting Mary Kay science on a worldwide stage. Our innovative teams include roles in product safety, product formulation, skin and clinical research, nutritionals, regulatory affairs, quality and other disciplines.
With some oversight and guidance, creates and manages timelines for multiple global projects with moderate complexity from initiation through to product launch. Effectively communicates and begins to influence a variety of functional representatives across many management levels to explore alternative solutions and reach decisions in a manner that meets project timeline commitments. Consistently demonstrates a general understanding of task dependencies and critical milestones and how they relate to other steps in the product launch cycle. Manages a basic scope of projects with some complexity.
About the Role:
1. With some oversight and guidance, provides support to NPD team members including representation from teams such as Brand, Purchasing, R&D, Package Engineering, Contract Services, Regulatory Affairs, Engineering, Operations, Creative Services, GIC/Planning, and Finance. Oversees all aspects of the project, ensuring team members remain on track and any delays are effectively addressed. Presents projects at Gate Reviews to senior leadership to assess project progress, share identified risks and action plans created, and gain approval to continue using resources to keep the projects moving forward. Follows up on any action items from the gate review and keeps team informed of discussions and decisions made by senior leadership. Elevates issues to senior team member or leadership as needed.
2. Demonstrates effective meeting facilitation skills to create and manage multiple Project Plans (schedules, budgets, resources, risks and deliverables) securing input from all affected functional areas of the company. Sets appropriate timelines, tracks key milestones, and reports project progress against key milestones. Demonstrates basic understanding of timing and steps required for each task in a product launch. Works with NPD team to negotiate reduced timing when necessary. Begins to demonstrate understanding of cross functional dependencies and the ability to identify risks and creates action plans.
3. With some guidance, utilizes Product Lifecycle Management system to track, document, analyze and report project progress. Acts as a gatekeeper for all project related items, including but not limited to the Project Justification and project timelines. Also manages change control for the Project Justification, project timelines and scope of the project. With some oversight and guidance from supervisor or senior team members, determines preparedness for gate reviews.
4. Monitors critical path activities. Follows up with team members to ensure project stays on track. With some guidance from supervisor or senior team member, works to resolve timing constraints if critical task is delayed. Begins to demonstrate the ability collaborate and lead discussion with project teams to formulate sound recommendations for the project based on the triple constraint priority. Delivers the project successfully - on time, on budget within financial scope and meeting product costs. Elevates issues when addressing non-standard or new technical issues escalates to PMO management, as needed to keep project on track and to remove barriers to success.
5. Begins to effectively navigate through undefined/ambiguous environments and influence cross functional team members. Monitors project progress and provides updates to PMO management to align on action plan prior to execution. Provides guidance on project issues and works with the team to resolve issues. Continues building relationships with team members, functional teams, and global partners to start leading and influencing a team.
6. Independently schedules and conducts cross functional team meetings and executes routine tasks/responsibilities. Publishes meeting agendas and minutes with identified action items to help drive team members accountable. Reviews past due and upcoming items to ensure team is aware of what is expected to keep the project on track. Uses the cross functional team meetings as a forum to discuss issues and determine next steps.
7. Demonstrates basic understanding of NDP financial concepts, including understanding of how project decisions impact COG%, overhead, direct labor, line decisions, and contract manufacturing costs to provide assessments of where costs can be reduced.
Skills & Experience:
Education: Bachelor/University Degree
Experience: 2+ years in a new product development (NPD) environment and/or project management, preferably in the skin care/cosmetic and/or nutrition industry. Knowledge of project management processes, and business fundamentals is critical. Possess strong out-of-the box alternative solution thinking skills.
PMP Project Management Professional or Project Management coursework preferred
Additional Skills & Abilities:
1. Must be proficient in the use of tracking/resource system; MS Excel (development of spreadsheets, import/export and linking); MS Word; MS PowerPoint; and MS Outlook. Oracle Agile software experience is desired.
2. Must be familiar with Gantt charts and project tracking software, such as MS Project.
3. Must possess interpersonal and communication skills as well as a strong drive for results.
4. Must be organized, capable of managing high levels of detail, and handling multiple activities/tasks under pressure.
5. Must have a strong, assertive personality balanced with a respect for others.
6. Must be comfortable working with all levels in the organization, bringing up issues and providing recommendations for action plans.
7. PMP® or CAPM® certification is preferred.
Looking for a career where you can make a difference?
At Mary Kay we are committed to enriching the lives of women and their families around the world, we offer careers with unlimited opportunities to do something beautiful every day. More than 5,000 employees work in locations around the world. They provide the products, marketing and other support to millions of Independent Beauty Consultants (IBCs) who work as independent contractors, selling our products directly to consumers in nearly 40 markets on five continents.
We are a company that believes in our people and cares for them with truly exceptional benefits. We offer:
- A comprehensive health plan which includes medical, dental, and vision with low premiums
- 401(k) plan
- A generous profit-sharing program
- Free access to on-site fitness center and on-site clinic
Your application has been successfully submitted.