Trade Specialist - Export & Governance - Remote
Full Job Description
The Trade Specialist responsible for supporting Export Operational activities and Risk & Duty Management program within North America (US, CA, and MX). This role is a subject matter expert on both import and export regulations, ensuring both efficient and compliant controls and process are in place. This role has a specific focus on the North America region (US, CA, and MX).
MAJOR JOB DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES (List in order of importance)
- Serves as a primary contact for internal business partners to provide Trade Guidance as needed for Canadian Exports and Canadian Vendor Returns.
- Provide day to day operations support for Exports for North America (US, CA, and MX).
- Supports Trade Compliance strategic initiatives, providing subject matter expertise on import, export, systems, and other relevant areas.
- Ensures compliance with established internal control procedures by examining records, reports, operating practices, and documentation.
- Determines HTS, Schedule B and ECCN classifications, while ensuring their proper maintenance within internal systems.
- Enhances and improves processes and controls by evaluating situations and using experience and regulatory knowledge.
- Verifies documentation such as SOP's, training records, and recordkeeping at work sites.
- Audits teams against current procedures, identifying deviations and establishes corrective action plans.
- Prepares special audit and control reports by collecting, analyzing, and summarizing operating information and trends.
- Maintains professional and technical knowledge by attending educational workshops; reviewing professional publications; establishing personal networks; participating in professional societies.
- Contributes to team effort by accomplishing related results as needed.
- Interfaces with other Avantor departments to advise them of the regulatory support & guidance to support their business & projects.
- Support Broker oversight, developing key KPI to measure against and establishing QBR’s with current brokers.
- Interfaces with governing agencies, suppliers and customers and respond to inquiries and requests.
- Complies with federal, state, and local requirements by studying existing and new security legislation enforcing adherence to requirements, advising management on needed actions.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
QUALIFICATIONS (Education/Training, Experience and Certifications)
- Bachelor's Degree in a science-related field required, or equivalent experience
- 5+ years’ experience in a dynamic Trade Compliance or Brokerage environment
- Licensed Customs Broker highly preferred
KNOWLEDGE SKILLS AND ABILITIES (Those necessary to perform the job competently)
- Demonstrated strong analytical skills, history of identify and reducing complex and systemic risks within systems or large organizations.
- Strong command of Free Trade, Duty Drawback, and other relevant trade programs.
- Strong knowledge of HTS, rules of origin, recordkeeping, export regulations, and broad understanding of risk assessment and mitigation processes.
- Demonstrated intermediate computer skills including Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and Access
- Demonstrated knowledge of US and Canadian product regulations, including but not limited to FDA, Health Canada, EPA/CEPA, DEA, & TTB.
- Demonstrated ability to deliver quality results and a high level of compliance while managing multiple projects, priorities, and daily workflow.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills.
- SAP knowledge required.
ENVIRONMENTAL WORKING CONDITIONS & PHYSICAL EFFORT (Under Typical Positions)
- Typically works in an office environment with adequate lighting and ventilation and a normal range of temperature and noise level.
- Work assignments are diversified. Examples of past precedent are used to resolve work problems. New alternatives may be developed to resolve problems.
- A frequent volume of work and deadlines impose strain on routine basis.
- Minimal physical effort is required. Work is mostly sedentary but does require walking, standing, bending, reaching, lifting, or carrying objects that typically weigh less than 10 lbs.
- Travel 10% of time.
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by employees assigned to this classification. They are not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties and skills required of employees assigned to this position.
Avantor is proud to be an equal opportunity employer.
We are an Equal Employment/Affirmative Action employer. We do not discriminate in hiring on the basis of sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, race, color, religious creed, national origin, physical or mental disability, protected Veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state/province, or local law.
If you need a reasonable accommodation for any part of the employment process, please contact us by email at email@example.com and let us know the nature of your request and your contact information. Requests for accommodation will be considered on a case-by-case basis. Please note that only inquiries concerning a request for reasonable accommodation will be responded to from this email address.
For more information about equal employment opportunity protections, please view the Equal Employment Opportunity is THE LAW Poster, EEO is the Law Poster Supplement, and Pay Transparency Non-Discrimination Provision using the links below.
EEO is the Law
OFCCP EEO Supplement
PAY TRANSPARENCY NONDISCRIMINATION PROVISION
3rd Party Non-Solicitation Policy:
By submitting candidates without having been formally assigned on and contracted for a specific job requisition by Avantor, or by failing to comply with the Avantor recruitment process, you forfeit any fee on the submitted candidates, regardless of your usual terms and conditions. Avantor works with a preferred supplier list and will take the initiative to engage with recruitment agencies based on its needs and will not be accepting any form of solicitation.
Your application has been successfully submitted.