Senior Compliance Advisor
Full Job Description
What is the role
The Senior Compliance Advisor will provide Compliance support for commercial trading activity for Shell Trading & Supply (“T&S”) primarily in Natural Gas, Electricity trading, Renewables and Origination and Marketing in the Americas region. This role will be the primary interface with the commercial staff (front-line traders, operational staff, functions and regional leadership) for regulatory and policy matters, questions, and concerns. This will require expansive knowledge of the Natural Gas and Electricity markets, regulatory frameworks and policy determinations. The ability to apply regulatory expectations and policy standards to a multitude of real world scenarios is a must. Challenge and collaboration are key.
- Providing advice related to compliance with external regulations / internal requirements, or conformance with Group Standards, Manuals and Shell Trading Policies.
- Providing advice and guidance related to the understanding and mitigation of regulatory and compliance risks such as market manipulation, anti-trust, bribery & corruption, and money laundering.
- Provide input, expertise, and support in the development and execution of the Compliance Training agenda.
- Serve as the Compliance representative and be a collaborative member of functional coordination meetings with Finance, Risk, Tax, and others, in regards to New Business Activities.
- Serve as a Compliance representative to regional leadership meetings as needed.
- Participate and represent Shell in external working groups in efforts to ensure best practices for Compliance.
- Be a collaborative member of the regional and global Compliance organization.
- Participate in collaborative activities with the broader Shell Ethics & Compliance organization (including Trade Compliance, Antitrust, Anti-bribery & corruption, and Data Privacy) to ensure accurate and appropriate guidance to T&S staff.
- Develop and maintain a strong understanding of the various lines of business in T&S and apply internal and external standards to commercial activity to ensure appropriate Compliance risk mitigations.
- Be an independent voice and provide challenge to contribute to the continuation of a Culture of Compliance within Trading & Supply.
This role will be responsible for providing Compliance support within the T&S organization in the Americas region. Responsibilities could extend to Canada and other South and Central American markets, as applicable, as well as coordination with other T&S affiliates.
What we need from you
- Must have legal authorization to work in the US on a full-time basis for anyone other than current employer.
- Bachelor's degree from an accredited university (or equivalent work experience).
- Minimum of ten (10) years’ experience in a combination of Trading Compliance or comparable Regulatory, Governance and Audit roles. Significant knowledge of physical/financial natural gas and electricity markets required.
- Strong understanding of trading instruments, trading strategies, and risk concepts.
- Excellent interpersonal and relationship building skills including the ability to interact with all levels of staff and management.
- Must be comfortable speaking up, escalating concerns and can provide an independent view and voice.
- Must be able to resolve conflict and deliver tough messages with grace. Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Team-oriented with the ability to work independently and share knowledge and learnings broadly.
Shell Trading & Supply entities operate in a highly complex regulatory and legal environment and are subject to regulatory oversight by several government entities such as the US Commodity Futures Trading Commission (CFTC) and the Federal Energy Regulatory Commission (FERC), as well as other governmental entities in the US, Europe and South America that have overlapping jurisdictions. There has been substantial change in these regulations over recent years and it is imperative that Shell comply with all laws, rules, and regulations that it is subject to.
Shell is a global group of energy and petrochemical companies with about 84,000 employees across more than 70 countries. We aim to meet the world’s growing need for more and cleaner energy solutions in ways that are economically, environmentally, and socially responsible. We have expertise in exploration, production, refining and marketing of oil and natural gas, and the manufacturing and marketing of chemicals.
As a global energy company operating in a challenging world, we set high standards of performance and ethical behaviors. We are judged by how we act and how we live up to our core values of honesty, integrity, and respect for people. Our Business Principles are based on these. They promote trust, openness, teamwork, and professionalism, as well as pride in what we do and how we conduct business.
Building on our core values, we aspire to sustain a diverse and inclusive culture where everyone feels respected and valued, from our employees to our customers and partners. A diverse workforce and an inclusive work environment are vital to our success, leading to greater innovation and better energy solutions.
An innovative place to work
There’s never been a more exciting time to work at Shell. Everyone here is helping solve one of the biggest challenges facing the world today: bringing the benefits of energy to everyone on the planet, whilst managing the risks of climate change.
Join us and you’ll add your talent and imagination to a business with the power to shape the future – whether by investing in renewables, exploring new ways to store energy, or developing technology that helps the world to use energy more efficiently.
An inclusive place to work
To power progress together, we need to attract and develop the brightest minds and make sure every voice is heard. Here are just some of the ways we’re nurturing an inclusive environment – one where you can express your ideas, extend your skills, and reach your potential.
- We’re creating a space where people with disabilities can excel through transparent recruitment process, workplace adjustments and ongoing support in their roles. Feel free to let us know about your circumstances when you apply, and we’ll take it from there.
- We’re closing the gender gap – whether that’s through action on equal pay or by enabling more women to reach senior roles in engineering and technology.
- We’re striving to be a pioneer of an inclusive and diverse workplace, promoting equality for employees regardless of sexual orientation or gender identity.
- We consider ourselves a flexible employer and want to support you finding the right balance. We encourage you to discuss this with us in your application.
A rewarding place to work
Combine our creative, collaborative environment and global operations with an impressive range of benefits and joining Shell becomes an inspired career choice.
We’re huge advocates for career development. We’ll encourage you to try new roles and experience new settings. By pushing people to reach their potential, we frequently help them find skills they never knew they had, or make career moves they never thought possible.
Please note: We occasionally amend or withdraw Shell jobs and reserve the right to do so at any time, including prior to the advertised closing date. Before applying, you are advised to read our data protection policy. This policy describes the processing that may be associated with your personal data and informs you that your personal data may be transferred to Shell/Shell Group companies around the world. The Shell Group and its approved recruitment consultants will never ask you for a fee to process or consider your application for a career with Shell. Anyone who demands such a fee is not an authorised Shell representative and you are strongly advised to refuse any such demand. Shell participates in E-Verify. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, sex, national origin, age, religion, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, protected veteran status, citizenship, genetic information or other protected status under federal, state or local laws. Shell is an Equal Opportunity Employer - Minorities/Females/Veterans/Disability. As a US Federal Contractor, hiring selections are subject to periodic audit review and documentation of your selections should be maintained for a period of three calendar years. It is the policy of Shell in the U.S. (“Shell”) to provide equal opportunity to all individuals, employees and all qualified applicants for employment consistent with employment requirements and qualifications. Shell prohibits discrimination based on race, color, sex, national origin, age, religion, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, veteran status, citizenship, genetic information, or other protected status under federal, state or local laws. All employees are expected to support this policy and contribute to an environment of equal opportunity. If you need an accommodation for a disability during the resourcing process, please speak with an HR representative.
Your application has been successfully submitted.