VP - Regulatory Compliance & Sustainability - Hybrid Remote
A Career at HARMAN
As a technology leader that is rapidly on the move, HARMAN is filled with people who are focused on making life better. Innovation, inclusivity and teamwork are a part of our DNA. When you add that to the challenges we take on and solve together, you’ll discover that at HARMAN you can grow, make a difference and be proud of the work you do every day.
About the Role
The Vice President, Regulatory Compliance & Sustainability (VP, RCS) will report directly to the Chief Legal and Compliance Officer.
The successful candidate is charged with meeting Harman’s strategic, operational, and day-to-day compliance objectives, including analyzing regulatory and sustainability developments in the manufacturing industry. They will also routinely interact Harman’s senior leadership committee as well as: (i) offer expert and impartial advice and counsel on critical internal audit, ethics, and regulatory compliance matters and (ii) develop and maintain strong partnerships with Harman’s global business leaders. The VPRCS is responsible for management, development, budgetary recommendations, and supervision of Harman’s regulatory compliance program, which includes, but is not limited to international trade and sanctions, sustainability, and environmental, social, and governance (“ESG”). Oversight of third-party regulatory reviews, and identification, development, implementation, and periodic assessment of adequate technology, policies, procedures, and training resources is also a requirement of the job. At the direction of the Chief Legal and Compliance Officer, the VPRCS may also lead or manage responses to external inquires and/or third-party validations (regulatory exams, audits, and compliance assurance).
The VPRCS will also develop key reporting metrics, KPIs, traceability standards for ESG and other programs, applicable regulatory controls, and enterprise risk mitigation processes related to Harman’s: Anti-Bribery, Anti-Corruption, Anti-Money Laundering, Anti-Trust and Fair Competition, Anti-Slavery and Human Trafficking, International Trade, Sustainability, and ESG policies. The VPRCS will also collaborate with the Chief Legal and Compliance Officer or her/his designee on internal investigations resulting from Harman’s whistleblower hotline or other compliance reporting platforms. The VPRCS will also lead or manage external audits and/or financial regulatory investigations to ensure timely management of related validation reviews, including successful closure of all findings and/or milestone delivery. At her/his discretion, the VPRCS may collaborate with skilled external analysts and investigators and utilize state-of-the-art technology to ensure effective monitoring and reporting of compliance irregularities. Finally, the VPRCS will cultivate strategic department and company-wide compliance initiatives and prepare and deliver periodic reports and assessments to management and external regulators as necessary.
The VP, RCS will have 4 or more direct reports and maintain a global team of 20 or more people.
What You Will Do
- Manage a global and country level trade and customs compliance program to ensure compliance with applicable rules and regulations. Identify and implement best practices.
- Establish and maintain trade compliance policies and a risk-based controls and monitoring infrastructure.
- Develop a strategic framework to ensure adequate training programs exist to educate and raise appropriate awareness of trade compliance.
- Support development of corrective and preventative measures to remediate audit findings.
- Drive the transition to a digitized trade compliance platform. Engage with external stakeholders to identify best in class trade compliance solutions and processes. Deploy management tools to collect data analytics and drive continuous improvements, implement best practices, and close compliance gaps.
- Support external audits and compliance investigations.
- Develop and facilitate global disclosure controls and processes over ESG data.
- Develop and execute an audit program to monitor compliance with ESG disclosure requirements.
- Manage the ESG team.
- Implement a “best in class” approach to risk assessment, audit process development, utilization of audit tools and the development and training of audit staff.
- Drive the strategic development of our control structure and audit methodology to promote our compliance with international accounting standards, SEGAM and KSOX and close compliance gaps.
- Drive specific compliance investigations, reviews, consultations, trainings, or other tasks as required.
- Maintain a strong collaboration with the Company’s external auditor to perform audit activities in an effective and efficient manner.
- Engage in dialogue with management and various control partners identifying and assessing risks and controls, including the management of rolling out best practices in control design and operational effectiveness on a global level. Develop cost-effective recommendations and solutions and eliminate redundant or inefficient procedures where necessary.
- Recruit, train and mentor a high performing team that becomes a training group for future financial leaders.
What You Need
- Bachelor’s Degree in Accounting and CPA (preferred, but not required)
- A minimum of 10 years related, applicable experience, with at least 2-4 years in public accounting preferred.
- Experience operating within a global automotive and consumer products manufacturing company.
- Knowledgeable on best practices for an internal audit function and how to deploy those to meet the needs of a global growing company.
- Demonstrated business acumen and the ability to provide value-added advice and guidance to the business.
- Ability to manage multiple priorities.
- Strong analytical interpersonal and communication skills and executive presence as demonstrated through crisp writing and thoughtful preparation for and participation in discussion. Proven interaction with senior management.
- Strong ability to influence across all levels and develop strong partnerships that will lead to improvements in efficiency and profit.
- Outstanding strategic planning and problem-solving capabilities with strong underlying analytical skills and the ability to approach issues from a strategic and business perspective.
- Ideal candidates will have experience outside of the audit function.
- Proven ability to attract, develop and retain top diverse talent and build a world class team.
- Efficiently delegate work to ensure tasks are completed in a timely manner.
- Ability to build strong relationships across the organization functionally and regionally. Leverages relationships to influence positive behaviors and outcomes.
- Self-starter who is comfortable presenting directly to and working closely with the senior management team.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills. Able to explain complex and strategic concepts among diverse audiences, including other executive and external parties.
- Comfortable operating in an ambiguous, fast paced, agile environment, making quick decisions with limited information and adjusting along the way.
- Strategic and can see the big picture yet hands on with a wiliness to get into the details.
- Self-confident, but with humility, ego in check.
- A self-starter, able to operate autonomously.
- An original thinker, possessing the drive to achieve quick results and the capacity to assume increasing responsibility in a global organization.
- Collaborative and team oriented.
- Exercises good judgement and discretion in recommending, creating, and implementing organizational strategies and objectives.
- A positive can -do attitude with understanding of real limitations and the ability to push back when necessary.
- A strong and engaging present, inspiring spirit of cooperation and sense of purpose.
What Makes You Eligible
- Willingness to travel 20% of the time
- Willingness to work in an office and/or home office in US
- Successfully complete a background investigation and drug screen as a condition of employment
What We Offer
- Be a part of an international team and explore our career development opportunities
- Attractive salary package, “Be Brilliant” employee recognition and rewards program
- Access to employee discounts on world-class HARMAN products (JBL, Harman Kardon, AKG etc.)
- Inclusive and diverse work environment that fosters and encourages career development opportunities
HARMAN is an Equal Opportunity /Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race,color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin,disability or Protected Veterans status. HARMAN offers a great work environment, challenging career opportunities, professional training and competitive compensation. (
Your application has been successfully submitted.