The Import/Export specialist is responsible for coordinating and supervising the entire process of importing or exporting shipments to or from domestic and international locations. A large part of this process involves the preparation and processing of all the necessary documents and permits for shipping purposes, booking and sourcing carriers, and maintaining records of all the transactions that occur. To ensure the right steps are taken throughout the entire process, we work closely with our partners at industrial sites, operations teams, and compliance teams, along with external customs brokers, ocean carriers, and freight forwarders.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Assure appropriate import/export documentation is reviewed and maintained as required by Customs law and other government agencies worldwide.
- Coordinate imports of purchased materials with overseas suppliers, freight forwarders, and customs brokers.
- Assist the operations group with logistics, such as road, ocean, and air transportation, globally.
- Ensure cost savings by negotiating freight rates with transport companies and brokers.
- Maintain up-to-date information within the company's ERP system.
- Work closely with the Global Trade Compliance Team to ensure proper trade guidelines are followed.
- Ensure compliance with global guidelines and requirements when processing imports into the Foreign Trade Zone.
- Collaboration with the Environmental Protection Agency and other government agencies is essential in ensuring proper shipment handling.
- Review and understand ISF "Import Security Filings" to ensure proper importation into the United States.
- Keep track of all customs costs and payments for imports and exports
- Review flow analysis to optimize import transportation expenditures.
- In order to report on activities, create the appropriate reporting tools.
- Ensure that any customs clearances are resolved in a timely manner.
Required Skills and Experience:
- Operational experience with ocean, air, and ground freight as well as responding to RFQ/RFPs and monitoring costs.
- A minimum of 3-5 years of experience in a regulated industry, including experience working in logistics import operations.
- Working knowledge of global trade imports/exports in a regulated environment.
- Working experience with freight forwarders, customs brokers, and transportation companies
- Good communication skills; interfaces with various departments internally and externally.
- An understanding of US Customs, Foreign Trade Zones, Agricultural Regulations, the Environmental Protection Agency, and Import Laws.
- A strong attention to detail, well-organized, and time-management skills are required.
- Computer skills include familiarity with Microsoft Office, Microsoft Outlook, Excel, and ERP systems.
- IATA, DOT, and IMDG certifications are preferred.
- Bachelor's Degree in Business, Trade and/or Transportation from an accredited college or equivalent work experience; Chemical or Ag Chemical experience preferred.
Gowan Company is a global, agricultural solutions business headquartered in Yuma, AZ. There are many perks and benefits to working at Gowan, including monthly company luncheons, weekly happy half hour celebrations, global meetings, competitive compensation and benefits package including medical, dental, vision, 401K, and paid time off as well as an annual company bonus contingent on individual performance and profitability of the company. Gowan's employees are part of a shared mission to help farmers improve the health and productivity of their crops to contribute to the food security of a growing global population.