Sr. Manager, Global Trade Compliance - Remote
MKS Instruments is a global provider of instruments, subsystems and process control solutions that measure, monitor, deliver, analyze, power and control critical parameters of advanced manufacturing processes to improve process performance and productivity for our customers. Additional information can be found at
MKS Instruments is seeking a Sr. Manager, Global Trade Compliance. Key member of the corporate legal compliance team creating Enterprise wide strategy for Global enhancement of export classification and technology controls; You will manage export licensing workstream, optimize 'China Semi'-related controls, mitigate escape risk, manage potential issues through internal inquiries and/or investigations.
You are responsible for:
- Enterprise program manager for export classification, including maintaining comprehensive understanding of classification regulations and making reasoned and documented interpretations of same; developing and implementing decision tools, methods, and training with a heavy focus on automated/scalable solutions; implementing integrated classification processes.
- Overseeing corporate export licensing program, and participates in export licensing strategies.
- Drafting and managing export license applications consistent with U.S. regulations, policies, and guidelines, primarily the Export Administration Regulations (EAR), etc. and relevant systems (e.g., SNAP-R).
- Supporting licensing process optimization in US and non-US jurisdictions.
- Providing guidance to business unit personnel on export licensing requirements, applicability of exceptions and exemptions, and potential issues associated with proposed business activity.
- Participating in the development of export licensing strategies
- Overseeing denied party screening process & tools.
- Managing and implementing enhancements to MKS’ due diligence processes, such as end-use/end-user vetting – especially as applicable to China
To succeed in this role, you should have the following skills and experience:
- Bachelor’s degree required, Juris Doctor, Graduate degree preferred. Engineering or technical expertise desired.
- 7-10 years’ experience with U.S. export laws and sanctions.
- Ability to distill complex regulatory issues
- Experience working in a corporate environment, preferably in an international context
- Project management skills are ideal
- Able to analyze and define processes and/or written procedures, excellent written and verbal communications skills and demonstrated attention to detail
- Ability to multi-task and handle shifting priorities
- Consensus-builder and can work independently and collaboratively in groups.
We are interested in a qualified candidate who is eligible to work in the United States. However, we will not be sponsoring work visas for this position, at this time.
Compensation and Benefits:
Salary Pay Range: $115,500 - $214,500 per year. This range is a good faith estimate of the expected salary range for this position, based on a wide range of factors including qualifications, experience and training, operational and business needs and other considerations permitted by law. At MKS, it is not typical for an individual to be hired at or near the top of the range for the role.
Bonus: This position is eligible for a discretionary annual bonus, in an amount to be determined by MKS [or as applicable].
Benefits: MKS offers a comprehensive benefits package, including health insurance coverage (medical, dental and vision), 401(k) with company match, life and disability insurance, 11 paid holidays, sick time, 15 paid vacation days, [6 weeks fully paid] parental leave, adoption assistance and tuition reimbursement [and for participation in any stock programs, signing bonus, etc.].
Globally, our policy is to recruit individuals from wide and diverse backgrounds. However, certain positions require access to controlled goods and technologies subject to the International Traffic in Arms Regulations (ITAR) or Export Administration Regulations (EAR). Applicants for these positions may need to be “U.S. persons.” “U.S. persons” are generally defined as U.S. citizens, noncitizen nationals, lawful permanent residents (or, green card holders), individuals granted asylum, and individuals admitted as refugees.
MKS Instruments, Inc. and its affiliates and subsidiaries (“MKS”) is an affirmative action and equal opportunity employer: diverse candidates are encouraged to apply. We win as a team and are committed to recruiting and hiring qualified applicants regardless of race, color, national origin, sex (including pregnancy and pregnancy-related conditions), religion, age, ancestry, physical or mental disability or handicap, marital status, membership in the uniformed services, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, genetic information, or any other category protected by applicable law. Hiring decisions are based on merit, qualifications and business needs. We conduct background checks and drug screens, in accordance with applicable law and company policies.
MKS is committed to working with and providing reasonable accommodations to qualified individuals with disabilities. If you need a reasonable accommodation during the application or interview process due to a disability, please contact us at:
If applying for a specific job, please include the requisition number (ex: RXXXX), the title and location of the role