Logistics Compliance Manager
Avient Corporation provides specialized and sustainable material solutions that transform customer challenges into opportunities, bringing new products to life for a better world. Examples include:
- Dyneema®, the world’s strongest fiber™, enables unmatched levels of performance and protection for end-use applications, including ballistic personal protection, marine and sustainable infrastructure and outdoor sports
- Unique technologies that improve the recyclability of products and enable recycled content to be incorporated, thus advancing a more circular economy
- Light-weighting solutions that replace heavier traditional materials like metal, glass and wood, which can improve fuel efficiency in all modes of transportation and reduce carbon footprint
- Sustainable infrastructure solutions that increase energy efficiency, renewable energy, natural resource conservation and fiber optic / 5G network accessibility
Avient employs approximately 10,000 associates and is certified ACC Responsible Care®, a founding member of the Alliance to End Plastic Waste and certified Great Place to Work®. For more information, visit www.avient.com.
Purpose of the job
Manage compliance for Avient Protective Materials logistics operations for international and domestic trade, hazardous waste, and hazardous materials, providing leadership, direction and guidance on all logistics compliance topics, developing these compliance functions, leading and supporting the integration of regulatory requirements into business processes ensuring full compliance with all relative rules and regulations for Avient Protective Materials.
Lead projects related to sustainability practice with an emphasis on waste reduction, reuse and recycling, and supply chain improvements.
Avient Protective Materials is the manufacturer of Dyneema®, the world’s strongest fiber. Dyneema® is a super strong polyethylene fiber that offers maximum strength, combined with minimum weight. As a result of market demand for Dyneema® in the United States, the Greenville, North Carolina production facility has undergone significant growth and will continue to grow in the foreseeable future.
Our challenge will be to develop the logistics operations compliance function in an orderly and professional manner to support the integration of international and domestic trade, hazardous waste, and hazardous material requirements into business processes ensuring full compliance with all rules and regulations. Careful attention to changing business needs relative to logistics compliance will be critical for the coming years.
Key Areas of Accountability / Responsibility
1. All employees have the responsibility to:
a) Show behavior in line with the SHE and Security risks and agreed controls, including being compliant to Avient Protective Materials requirements, rules and procedures
b) Address any person behaving in a SHE and Security irresponsible way
c) Report any SHE and Security incidents (including observed risks) to management
2. Avient Protective Materials Values - Is expected to be a leading example of Values behavior. Must be able to develop and lead a high performing team in a high support and challenging manner; demonstrating trust, support and respect. Sets the scene for Avient Protective Materials Values and actively encourages and appreciates Values behaviors and thinking and discourages behaviors that do not align with Avient Protective Materials Values. Gives feedback, inside and outside of the team, both positively and for areas of improvement. Creates an environment to enable the team to take the freedom to do what it takes and ensure recognition that with freedom responsibility comes along.
3. Manufacturing Excellence – Avient Protective Materials wants to be 'best in class' in every respect, including manufacturing. To excel in manufacturing, we need to optimize how we do things. Everyone within the organization has at least one role within Manufacturing Excellence. Roles and responsibilities are defined and assigned to those involved in the different Manufacturing Excellence Work Processes.
4. Responsible to develop, manage, maintain and communicate trade compliance program related to Avient Protective Materials activity, including global movements of all inbound and outbound goods (raw materials, finished goods, capital equipment and samples), management of customs brokers, ensuring compliance with US government programs through implementation of internal operating systems and processes.
5. Ensure US Customs surety bonds, powers of attorney, free trade agreements, TSCA, ISF, ATF permit applications, International Import Certificates, and drawback claims are completed in accordance with regulatory requirements.
6. Manage the administrative aspects of the group by ensuring the preparation of performance plans, job descriptions, and conducting employee performance reviews. This also includes hiring, rewarding, and disciplining staff as required; providing direction for professional development; maintaining an environment that fosters teamwork; and assigning responsibility and accountability at proper levels.
7. Establish and execute external and internal compliance audits for risk mitigation and continuous improvement, to identify potential compliance problems, perform investigations and develop appropriate policies and procedures in accordance with regulatory requirements.
8. Continuously monitor government and industry developments to implement operational changes as required. Analyze impact of non-compliant activities on Avient Protective Materials.
9. Stay abreast of regulatory changes. Develop and deliver education and training programs to personnel in regulatory requirements as related to specific tasks requiring specialized knowledge to ensure compliance.
10. Interact directly with APM Corporate Legal in United States to respond to official government inquiries (i.e. US Customs District Offices, ATF, EPA, FDA, etc.)
11. Maintain compliance with environmental programs, including supervision of hazardous waste handling and preparation of hazardous waste shipment manifests. Promote waste reduction and recovery projects and incorporate associated operations in applicable manufacturing processes. Ensure staff is trained on current waste disposal procedures and prevention procedures. Identify opportunities to minimize waste and to recycle. Archive all appropriate hazardous waste documents.
12. Develop, implement and continuously improve major environmental programs such as waste reduction programs.
13. Support group operating goals in support of divisional, unit, and corporate objectives.
14. Monitor budget and assist in budget preparation.
15. Responsible for compliance with relevant laws, company guidelines and requirements through adherence to company policies relating to quality, safety, housekeeping and cost effectiveness.
16. It is the responsibility of each employee to work in a safe and responsible manner in order to create an injury-free and incident-free workplace.
17. Comply with all job-related safety and other training requirements.
18. Maintain annual training requirements on hazardous waste by reviewing DYNPRO SHE DYN 653 and general awareness presentation. Specific job holders will complete more detailed training as well.
19. Perform other duties as assigned.
1. Set policies and procedures to meet regulatory compliance.
2. Accountable to monitor regulatory changes, implementing applicable changes to ensure Avient Protective Materials policies and procedures are in accordance with regulatory compliance.
3. Function as company representative for Avient Protective Materials with U.S. Customs and Border Protection, Bureau of Industry and Security and other U.S., Canadian and Mexican government agencies as they relate to customs and global trade issues.
4. Authorized to approve work permits per details included in DYNPRO SHE DYN 026. If so authorized, employee must maintain necessary refresher training to participate in these activities
Projects or Special Assignments
n Attain and maintain C-TPAT certification
n SAP Roles (as required)
Complexity of the job
§ Coordinating efforts between global and local entities in the areas of international and domestic trade, hazardous waste, and hazardous materials compliance.
§ Supply chain collaboration with suppliers, outsourced manufacturing and customers.
§ Direct interaction with corporate legal and external counsel requiring attention to regulatory compliance matters as related to logistics operations for import, export, hazardous waste, and hazardous materials activities.
Knowledge and educational level
BS/BA and 5 years of relevant experience or AA/AS and 6 years of relevant experience or 7 years of direct work experience in import/export for ocean and air freight as well as demonstrated knowledge of international customs regulations and trading practices.
Relevant experience in the manufacturing industry to include 4 years in a leadership or supervisory position.
Required level of experiences
§ Ability to effectively develop and implement processes and procedures; lead, plan, manage and coordinate activities required to meet international and domestic trade, hazardous waste, and hazardous materials compliance.
§ Knowledge of import, export, DOT and environmental regulations related to Avient Protective Materials activities.
§ Excellent problem solving / troubleshooting skills.
§ cGMP experience preferred
Avient Corporation is a world-class sustainable organization built on innovation, collaboration, and employee development. We are committed to providing a supportive and dynamic work environment where our diverse associates can grow and succeed, as well positively impacting our planet and the communities we serve. Our Great Place to Work culture, values, and benefits make Avient an employer of choice for top talent. #LI-AD1