Export Compliance Officer - International Office
Jefferson includes Thomas Jefferson University and Jefferson Health, a dynamic university and health system with broad reach across the Delaware Valley. Jefferson is the second largest employer in Philadelphia and the largest health system in Philadelphia based on total licensed beds.
Through the merger of Thomas Jefferson University and Philadelphia University in 2017, our University includes ten colleges and four schools. We are an NCAA Division II university and an R2 national doctoral university offering undergraduate and graduate-level programs that provide students with a forward-thinking education in architecture, business, design, engineering, fashion and textiles, health, medicine and social science.
Jefferson Health, the clinical arm of Thomas Jefferson University, has grown from a three-hospital academic health center in 2015, to an 18-hospital health system through mergers and combinations that include hospitals at Abington Health, Aria Health, Kennedy Health, Magee Rehabilitation and Einstein Healthcare Network. We have over 50 outpatient and urgent care centers; ten Magnet®-designated hospitals (recognized by the ANCC for nursing excellence); the NCI-designated Sidney Kimmel Cancer Center (one of only 70 in the country and one of only two in the region); and one of the largest faculty-based telehealth networks in the country. In 2021, Jefferson Health became the sole owner of HealthPartners Plan, a not-for-profit health maintenance organization in Southeastern Pennsylvania. We are the first health system regionally to create an aligned payer-provider partnership.
Jefferson’s mission, vision and values create an organization that attracts the best and the brightest students, faculty, staff, and healthcare professionals, as well as the most visionary leaders to drive exceptional results.
- OUR MISSION: We improve lives.
- OUR VISION: Reimagining health, education and discovery to create unparalleled value
- OUR VALUES: Put People First, Be Bold & Think Differently and Do the Right Thing
As an employer, Jefferson maintains a commitment to provide equal access to employment. Jefferson values diversity and encourages applications from women, members of minority groups, LGBTQ individuals, disabled individuals, and veterans.
Covid Vaccination is a requirement for employment at Jefferson for employees working at Jefferson’s clinical entities or at the University. If you are not currently vaccinated you will be required to receive the vaccination prior to hire date if you are offered employment, unless you request and receive an approved medical or religious exemption from Jefferson.
The Export Compliance Officer will assist in the day-to-day operation and implementation of Jefferson’s Export Control Compliance program and assist in the development of the International Health Safety and Security (IHSS) program within the Jefferson enterprise. The incumbent should have an awareness of export control and IHSS requirements applicable to university research and related activities, such as international travel. Additionally, the individual should be familiar with the Export Administration Regulations (EAR), the International Traffic in Arms Regulations (ITAR), and the Office of Foreign Assets Control (OFAC) sanctions regulation, as well as OSAC and the Academic Working Group (AWG). Data collections, analysis, and reporting are a major function of the position.
- Export controls compliance processes and procedures (80%) and international health safety and security processes and procedures (20%)
- Lead the improvement of export compliance processes and procedures
- Assist with the improvement of international travel/health safety and security processes and procedures
- Work closely with the Office of Legal Affairs to maintain the Export Compliance Manual
- Conduct out reach and serve as the key liason with stakeholders across the University to drive awareness and collaboration around export compliance and IHSS processes
- Conduct export compliance assessments of international shipments, material transfers, and non-disclosure agreements
- Research and determine commodity jurisdiction and classification of materials and technologies
- Develop technology control plans (TCP) in collaboration with IS&T and researchers, as needed, and monitor compliance
- Prepare and manage export license applications for international shipments, technology exports, and deemed exports
- Submit commodity classification requests, commodity jurisdiction requests, requests for advisory opinions, or public comments to government agencies
- Assist with designing and providing training to the broad university community on export control regulations as well as IHSS policies
- Perform Restricted Party Screening using commercially available software and generate reports
- Evaluate international travel requests for export control-related issues and red flags; provide follow-up education about risks and protocols to traveler
- Prepare statistical data and reports of mitigated risks, screening results, and other metrics on an annual and as-needed basis
- Actively participates in professional organizations and groups such as the Association of University Export Control Officers (AUECO), the Ohio State Export Controls Listserve, OSAC and AWG
- Interacts with co-workers, visitors, and other staff consistent with Jefferson’s values
- Bachelor’s Degree in Business Administration or equivalent.
- Master’s Degree preferred.
CERTIFICATES, LICENSES, AND REGISTRATION:
Export compliance certification preferred
- 3 years of export compliance experience required.
- Prior experience in a university preferred.