Director, International Trade Compliance
Teledyne Technologies Incorporated provides enabling technologies for industrial growth markets that require advanced technology and high reliability. These markets include aerospace and defense, factory automation, air and water quality environmental monitoring, electronics design and development, oceanographic research, deepwater oil and gas exploration and production, medical imaging and pharmaceutical research.
We are looking for individuals who thrive on making an impact and want the excitement of being on a team that wins.
The location options for this position are listed below, other Teledyne Digital Imaging sites within the U.S. may be considered as well.
The Director, International Trade Compliance (the “Director”), Digital Imaging Segment, of Teledyne Technologies Incorporated (“Teledyne”) is responsible for managing the trade compliance function for the worldwide and growing Teledyne Digital Imaging Segment (“Digital Imaging”). Digital Imaging’s 2022 sales were $3.1 billion, 57% of Teledyne’s net sales. In this role, the Director will be in the role of Segment Lead to support the strategic development and execution of Digital Imaging’s business by building and proactively managing strong export and import compliance programs in accordance with applicable laws, regulations and the requirements of the parent corporation, Teledyne. The Director will support and lead trade compliance personnel at Digital Imaging’s Business Units to ensure that trade compliance activities are performed in a professional, efficient, consistent and compliant manner. The Director will regularly and proactively interact with Digital Imaging’s senior management. The Director will also serve as the primary point of contact with Teledyne’s Corporate International Trade Compliance (“CITC”) Office. This role demands exceptional communication (verbal and written) and presentation skills, as well as strong trade compliance expertise and experience. The Director must have strong collaboration and effective relationship management capabilities. This is a hands-on role, and the candidate must have strong organization skills, excel at process implementation, and have the ability to work with employees of all levels based in multiple countries. This is a full-time position that directly reports to Teledyne’s Chief Trade Compliance Counsel, who reports to Teledyne’s Senior Vice President, General Counsel, Chief Compliance Officer and Secretary
Job Duties & Responsibilities:
- Implement and manage Digital Imaging’s trade compliance programs in compliance with applicable laws, regulations and Teledyne policies.
- Develop, draft and implement policies, procedures and work instructions in collaboration with various business functions.
- Develop, implement, enhance and maintain trade compliance management systems, processes and process improvements to ensure efficiency and compliance.
- Supervise Digital Imaging’s Trade Compliance staff, including assigning workloads, setting priorities, providing guidance and assistance, and reviewing performance.
- Manage and support the performance of Digital Imaging Trade Compliance staff and daily trade compliance activities, including:
- Export classification and jurisdiction determinations
- Export permit and licensing applications and administration
- Technology transfers / Deemed exports
- Controlled Goods Program oversight
- Shipment clearance
- Denied party, proliferation and diversion screening
- Import classification, valuation, country of origin analysis, assists reporting
- Free Trade Agreement analysis and qualification
- Management of Customs Brokers
- Record-keeping and accurate documentation
- Review and approval of visitor and travel requests
- Liaise with Government regulatory agencies on import or export compliance issues and respond to inquiries as required.
- Conduct regular trade compliance self-assessments for companies throughout Digital Imaging and identify potential efficiency improvements and ensure compliance.
- Manage and periodically conduct trade compliance training for all functions within Digital Imaging.
- Support Teledyne trade compliance audits and implement corrective actions, as required.
- Report and assist the CITC Office with investigations of any incidences of purported non-compliance with export/import laws and regulations, identification, implementation and maintenance of corrective actions and drafting and filing of voluntary or prior disclosures with Government regulatory agencies.
- Assist the CITC Office with various trade compliance projects and initiatives.
- Assist and support acquisition due diligence and integration activities involving Digital Imaging.
- Keep abreast of changes in trade laws and regulations (including Free Trade Agreements and other duty deferral programs) to ensure compliance.
- Provide reports for the CITC regarding significant trade compliance matters and status, as required.
- Bachelor’s degree is required, preferably in Commerce, Business, Law, or International Trade.
- Significant experience (at least 10 years) and expertise in domestic and international trade compliance.
- Experience and working knowledge of U.S., Canadian, and other country export and import laws and regulations, including customs laws and controlled goods regulations.
- Specific experience with trade compliance in the high technology imaging and semiconductor markets and industries is preferred.
- Strong leadership, communication (written, oral, and presentations) and interpersonal skills.
- Experience in training, mentoring and managing staff.
- Ability to manage a high volume of work at a detailed level in a fast-paced environment, working with frequent interruptions and minimal day-to-day supervision.
- Demonstrated proficiency and experience in managing complex trade compliance matters and developing innovative solutions with a successful record of problem solving.
- Ability to interact effectively with other functions, including Engineering, Program Management, Supply Chain, and Logistics, as well as Business Unit Trade Compliance staff and leadership, and the CITC Office.
- Able and willing to travel domestic and international at least 25%.
- Customs broker license would be beneficial.
- Security clearance capability would be a positive factor.
Applicants must be either a U.S. citizen, U.S. national, legal permanent resident, asylee, refugee or must be eligible to apply for and obtain the appropriate export control license from the U.S. Departments of State or Commerce.
Teledyne and all of our employees are committed to conducting business with the highest ethical standards. We require all employees to comply with all applicable laws, regulations, rules and regulatory orders. Our reputation for honesty, integrity and high ethics is as important to us as our reputation for making innovative sensing solutions.
Teledyne is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability or veteran status, age, or any other characteristic or non-merit based factor made unlawful by federal, state, or local laws.